Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting rid of noise in derivative?

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, i'm working on some Current-Voltage data in excel. I need to do some analysis with the data, and the first step is to compute dV/dI. I have to do this in excel so decided to use excel's SLOPE function (5 point slope) to compute dV/dI. However, it seems that the derivative has a lot of noise, especially towards the lower values. Since I am writing a program to automate this analysis, I would really like to get rid of this noise.

Another way I thought of was to fit a line to my initial data, and simply differentiate the fitted line's equation. However, I can't seem to get a decent fit for my initial curve.

Pic shows the initial data and my horrible looking derivative.

i_v_curve.jpg
    screenshot app

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If you want a mathematically defensible way to smooth the derivative then you need to explain the nature of the "noise". in the data - e.g. can it be modeled as an independent random error at each measurement?

Another thing to try is a "multi-point method" for estimating the derivative. For example, see the "Higher-order methods" section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_differentiation. (However, I don't know if that method has any "noise cancelation" properties.)

If you only want a nice pitcure, Is there some reason that you can't fit a smooth function to the data first and then plot the derivative of that function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook