1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a current, calculate the charge distribution

1. Aug 2, 2015 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ring of radius R has a current density ##\vec J=J(r, \theta) \sin \phi \hat \phi## where phi is the azimuthal angle in spherical coordinates. Calculate the charge distribution considering that it was initially null.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure. Maybe ##\nabla \cdot \vec J + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0##.
    The divergence theorem.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So my idea was to maybe use the continuity equation that I wrote above. From it, I am not sure what to do. Maybe integrate in space so that I can use the divergence theorem, in other words I can reach that ##\int _S \vec J \cdot d\vec A + \int \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}dV=0##. But I am stuck there because I don't know how to calculate ##\vec J \cdot d\vec A##.

Then my other idea is to integrate the continuity equation with respect to time, but again I'm not sure how to do this...
    I'd appreciate a little push in the right direction, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what "ring of radius R" means. Maybe it's a ring as shown below. Anyway, I don't think R will play a role.

My guess is that they want you to come up with an expression for ##\rho(r, \theta, \phi, t)##. The continuity equation seems like a good approach. What do you get explicitly for ##\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}## by evaluating the divergence of ##\vec{J}##?

Attached Files:

4. Aug 3, 2015 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Yes that's exactly it and what they ask for.
    I took the divergence in spherical coordinates, I reached ##\nabla \cdot \vec J = J(r, \theta ) \frac{\cot \theta}{r}=-\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}##.
    That would make ##\rho = - \frac{J(r,\theta) \cot (\theta ) t}{r} + f(r, \theta)## where f is an arbitrary function appearing when I integrated ##\partial \rho##... The result doesn't look right to me, especially this dependence on t, which seems to grow up infinitely.

5. Aug 3, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't get your expression for the divergence. Make sure to distinguish ##\theta## from ##\phi##.

At t = 0 you want ##\rho## to be zero everywhere.

As long as this peculiar current flows, the charge density will grow (positive in some places and negative in others).

6. Aug 3, 2015 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec J ={1 \over r^2}{\partial \left( r^2 J_r \right) \over \partial r}
    + {1 \over r\sin\theta}{\partial \over \partial \theta} \left( J_\theta\sin\theta \right)
    + {1 \over r\sin\theta}{\partial J_\phi \over \partial \phi}[/tex] but ##J_r=J_\theta=0## because ##\vec J = J_\phi \hat \phi##. I found that divergence formula in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates, and the convention used is theta is zenithal while phi is azimuthal, same convention that I use.

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you get a cotangent of theta out of this? Shoudn't the numerator end up with a cosine of phi instead of a cosine of theta?

8. Aug 3, 2015 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

My bad, you are correct. I reach ##\rho = - J(r, \theta ) \frac{\cos \phi}{r\sin \theta}t##.

9. Aug 3, 2015 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted