Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a Hamiltonian how do you pick the most convenient Hilbert space?

1. Sep 13, 2013 #1
    For example, I have a 3D particle that experiences a harmonic oscillator potential only in the X,Y plane for all Z ie. a free particle in the Z direction. This seems like cylindrical coordinates but I'm not sure how to express the Hilbert space if I want to be able to describe states and eigenvalues.

H = (Px^2 + Py^2 + Pz^2) / (2m) + 1/2*mω^2(x^2+y^2)

I know that the energies will be characterized by the two harmonic oscillator dimension quantum numbers and also by the momentum in the z-direction, but what is the formal way to describe the Hilbert space?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

In ordinary QM (as opposed to QFT) all Hilbert spaces are equivalent, so you don't have to care.
    Maybe you mean the range of definition?

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3
    I'm studying for my preliminary exam for grad school, and I have a practice problem that gives this Hamiltonian. The first part asks about the symmetries of the hamiltonian. I said energy, angular momentum about the z-axis and linear momentum in the z-direction. The next part asks, "Describe the most convenient Hilbert space to use for describing states and eigenvalues of this system, and describe why."

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Technically the existing symmetries (such as space-time ones) would help you get a suitable Hilbert space starting from L^(R^n), n = dof. For the uniparticle Hamiltonian in post #1, the Hilbert space would be L^2((0,r),dr) X {e^(im\phi) | m in Z} X L^2 (R,dz).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook