1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a sample of points how could I determine what distribution does

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    Given a sample of points how could I determine what distribution does it belong to ?

Any help please for newbie?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    Re: Sample

First step is for you to decide if it's a discrete or cont. ones. Then you want to look into "fitting a probability distribution". There's various ways to do that, one of them is to compute few statistics and see if you notice anything i.e. Mean = Variance, etc.

4. Aug 29, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

Re: Sample

It is more a process of ruling out the distributions your sample is not from. Start by graphing the data - boxplot, as a guide for outliers, skewness or symmetry, histogram (for a large enough sample), probability plots, etc.
    Be aware that it can take very large sample sizes to determine whether (as an example) your data is better described by a normal distribution, a t-distribution, or some other symmetric distribution.
    with what source of data are you working?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?