Given total charge, find individual charges.

In summary, two small metal spheres with a total charge of 7.47x10^-6 C and a distance of 6.35 cm between them experience a repulsive force of 15.5011 N. Using the equations F=k Qq/r^2 and Q1+Q2=7.47x10^-6C, the attempt at solving for the charge on each sphere results in a quadratic equation that cannot be solved.
psilovethomas

Homework Statement

A total charge of 7.47x10^-6 C is distributed on two different small metal spheres. When the spheres are 6.35 cm apart, they each feel a repulsive force of 15.5011 N. How much charge is on each sphere?

Homework Equations

F=k Qq/r^2
Q1+Q2=7.47x10^-6C

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the second equation, I put the first equation in terms of Q1 to get F=k Q1(7.47X10^-6 - Q1)/r^2, but I cannot solve for Q1

Physics news on Phys.org
psilovethomas said:
Using the second equation, I put the first equation in terms of Q1 to get F=k Q1(7.47X10^-6 - Q1)/r^2, but I cannot solve for Q1
Why not? It's a quadratic equation.

1. How do I find individual charges if I am given the total charge?

In order to find individual charges, you will need to divide the total charge by the number of objects or particles that have that charge. This will give you the individual charge for each object or particle.

2. Can I use this method for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, this method can be used for both positive and negative charges. The only difference is that positive charges will have a positive value and negative charges will have a negative value.

3. Is this method applicable to all types of charges?

Yes, this method can be used for all types of charges, including point charges, distributed charges, and continuous charges.

4. What units are used for the total charge and individual charges?

The units for total charge and individual charges will depend on the system of units being used. In the SI system, the unit for charge is the Coulomb (C), while in the CGS system, the unit is the statcoulomb (statC).

5. Can I use this method for calculating charges in a three-dimensional system?

Yes, this method can be used for calculating charges in a three-dimensional system. However, you will need to take into account the distance between the objects or particles, as well as the direction of the charges, in order to accurately determine the individual charges.