God does not play dice referred to what exactly?

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary: And no, this has nothing to do with dice.Everything, for example space, on the quantom level has no shape, no plane, it isn't a flat pane that gravity acts as a cushion for like in our space, rather... everything exists in a kind of foam where the behavior of particles is determined by their position in that foam, and not by their intrinsic properties.
dimensionless
"God does not play dice" referred to what exactly?

What was Einstein referring to? As I recall Einstein believed some process was non-random, but the general consensus in physics is that it is indeed random.

Physics news on Phys.org

He was expressing his doubts about quantum mechanics.

yup...he was not very fond of the way quantum theory presented the universe...

russ_watters said:
He was expressing his doubts about quantum mechanics.

Specifically about how quantum mechanics revolves around probability distributions and not finite solutions. An odd quote since Einstein was an atheist.

Topher925 said:
An odd quote since Einstein was an atheist.
What does that have to do with it?

Edit: I just realized that you were probably referring to his use of the word "God", not his discomfort with inherent randomness. I'd say that his use of the term was purely a figure of speech.

Last edited:

It's just an expression, Topher. It doesn't necessarily imply anything about his faith/lack thereof.

russ_watters said:
It's just an expression, Topher. It doesn't necessarily imply anything about his faith/lack thereof.

Hmm.. for an atheist he talked about god quite often: "Subtle is the Lord, but malicious He is not" is another qoute from him.

Oberst Villa said:
Hmm.. for an atheist he talked about god quite often: "Subtle is the Lord, but malicious He is not" is another qoute from him.

Back in his time I think atheists were looked down upon by most cultures and to this day that is still true with some people. I think a lot of people played the god card just to maintain their reputation and image. We all know what happened to Galileo.

What specific randomness in quantum theory did he not like?

Topher925 said:
Back in his time I think atheists were looked down upon by most cultures and to this day that is still true with some people. I think a lot of people played the god card just to maintain their reputation and image. We all know what happened to Galileo.

yup...people have only scarcely changed...they are apparently still people

dimensionless said:

I think he preferred something like this Hidden Variables stuff: Although the outcome of quantum mechanical experiments might appear random to us, they would be deterministic if only someone (god ?) would at some time know the state of this hidden variables. But as far as I understand it, there has been an experiment some decades ago that showed that this hidden variables cannot exist

dimensionless said:
For example: When you measure an observable on a system represented by a superposition of eigenstates of that observable, the probability of getting a particular eigenvalue is given by the square of the corresponding expansion coefficient for the eigenstate. I think that's the kind of inherent randomness that Einstein was referring to.

Oberst Villa said:
But as far as I understand it, there has been an experiment some decades ago that showed that this hidden variables cannot exist
Those experiments ruled out local hidden variables, not all hidden variables.

Topher925 said:
Specifically about how quantum mechanics revolves around probability distributions and not finite solutions. An odd quote since Einstein was an atheist.

I think it is much closer to the truth to say that Einstein was a non-observant Jew. It is difficult for a Jew to remain in the culture (and, to be a Zionist) while completely ignoring G-d.

A Christian generally will not be able to disagree with G-d while yet remaining faithful to the religion. A Jew may well be strengthened in his religion by arguing with, and doubting, G-d.

Doc Al said:
Those experiments ruled out local hidden variables, not all hidden variables.

Thanks for the correction Doc Al. I found in the meantime a paper that might be of interest and confirms what you said: "Research on Hidden Variable Theories: a review of recent progresses" http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0701071
(Section 6 is about Non-Local Realistic theories, i.e. hidden variable theories that have not been ruled out by experiment)

Obviously, I was quite wrong with my assumption that there was one single experiment and that it closed the case for good.

Re Einstein and "god" references, read:

http://richarddawkins.net/firstChapter,1 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

TVP45 said:
I think it is much closer to the truth to say that Einstein was a non-observant Jew. It is difficult for a Jew to remain in the culture (and, to be a Zionist) while completely ignoring G-d.

A Christian generally will not be able to disagree with G-d while yet remaining faithful to the religion. A Jew may well be strengthened in his religion by arguing with, and doubting, G-d.

Einstein wasn't Jewish (religion-wise), he was a deist, not a theist.

Einstein was a naturalist. So when he mentioned "God" he was referring to the universe.

dimensionless said:

Everything, for example space, on the quantom level has no shape, no plane, it isn't a flat pane that gravity acts as a cushion for like in our space, rather it's everything, at once, and nothing at once. The more you study the velocity of an electron the less you will know about it's where-abouts, like wise.

dimensionless said:
When you roll dice, you get random results. However, it was supposed that in principle, if not in practice, you could roll the dice with the same hand motion over and over again and always get the same result. Quantum mechanics says no, the randomness is not just a matter of slight variations in the rolling procedure but is inherent in the system.

If you prepare many samples in exactly the same state they will evolve into different states according to the probability that they should do so. Because they were all in the same initial state, you can't predict which ones will change to which final state. Einstein was unhappy with this and that's what he meant by his 'dice' quote. He proposed that there may be hidden variables. That is, the systems were not all in the same initial state, you only thought they were because you didn't detect differences in those hidden variables.

Of course, we must make concessions for the theory - but the nature of abstract tensors in a defined space, given the ability to compute such a slew of information for the system under analysis, yields a much more pristine result than any of these so called "probability distributions". I would have to agree with the title of the thread.

I do believe, however, that the world is imbued with a fundamental quality that defines determism on one scale (i.e. the quantum level) but free will of sorts on another (the macro--level). This, though seemingly a contradiction, is not.

Oberst Villa said:

He was a naturalist so his definition of "God" referred to the physical laws of nature. He did not believe in a personal god.

The OP has been answered way too many times.

1. What does the phrase "God does not play dice" mean?

The phrase "God does not play dice" is a famous quote from Albert Einstein, who used it to express his belief that the universe is governed by a set of fixed laws rather than random chance. In other words, Einstein believed that there is a predetermined order and design to the universe.

2. Is this phrase referring to the existence of God?

Yes, the phrase is often interpreted as a statement about the existence of God. It implies that there is an intelligent force or being behind the workings of the universe, rather than everything happening by chance.

3. What is the significance of this quote in the scientific community?

This quote is significant because it reflects a debate that has been ongoing in the scientific community for centuries - the debate between determinism and randomness. Determinism is the belief that everything in the universe is predetermined and follows a set of fixed laws, while randomness suggests that there is an element of chance and unpredictability in the universe.

4. Does this quote contradict the concept of quantum mechanics?

Some argue that this quote does contradict the concept of quantum mechanics, which suggests that particles at the subatomic level can behave in unpredictable and random ways. However, others argue that Einstein's quote can be interpreted to mean that there is a deeper order and design underlying quantum mechanics, even if it may appear random on the surface.

5. How does this quote relate to religion and faith?

This quote has been used by both religious and non-religious individuals to support their beliefs. Some see it as evidence for the existence of a higher power or intelligent creator, while others view it as a rejection of the idea that everything happens by chance. Ultimately, the interpretation of this quote in relation to religion and faith is subjective and can vary greatly.