Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

God, you're dumb and you're a WHAT?

1. Jan 15, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Do you ever run into people during your studies or out in life who seem so unbelievably dumb and incompetant... and then you ask them what they do/are majoring in, and its like "Well i'm a doctor" or "I'm a civil engineer" or "I'm supervisor of the nth largest internet backbone"??? It's rather scary to think that you may be working in a building where the designer was an alcoholic partier during college and this just might be one of his first designs :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

The jobs that you go to as a trade school scare me the most.... and i'm talking about the people who weren't good enough for a real college... "Oh hey, I install gas lines under your house" or "I maintain 747's for the airliner you're about to hop on to". Kinda makes you wonder.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2006 #2
    "What type of job could an incompetent:person as yourself possibly have?"

"Im the safety technician at the local nuclear reactor"

O_____________________O

*moves far far away*

4. Jan 15, 2006 #3
    Yeah that has definitely happened to me. It scares me when I think about how many idiots seem to be in engineering, or medicine or anything where there is any responsibility. Some people just aren't meant for that, I don't know how they make it through.

Oh, and I hope you weren't implying that only dumb people go to trade schools. Trades are a valuable part of society, just as much as any university degree. I apologize if you don't think that, I just hate it when people think they are better because they have a university degree, and that everything else is secondary to that.

5. Jan 15, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh of course not, hell some of the stuff they do is actually very intresting to me. Unfortunately, their near non-existant requirements and low-cost and flashy ad campaigns tend to draw the dumber crowds....

6. Jan 15, 2006 #5

Ok just making sure :smile:

7. Jan 15, 2006 #6
    That reminds me of Homer form the simpsons

8. Jan 15, 2006 #7
    Are we talking about the guy I went to high school with, that did LSD everyday for 3 years? And at our class reunion I found out he was a Nuro-surgeon? Yea I'd want him working on my brain! Hes in SoCal BTW.

9. Jan 15, 2006 #8
    While the trade schools may draw "dumber" people, they still have to pass the courses which weeds the worst ones out, and they don't last in the trades very long if they're incompetent. Electricians, pipefitters, sheetrock guys, garage door installers, etc, all end up getting a huge amount of experience in their jobs and end up being able to do most of it in their sleep. The outfits they work for feed greater responsibility to them in small increments, and if they can't handle safety and proper proceedures, they get stuck in positions where they're always supervised and never make any important decisions. I am much, much less worried about the work done by people in the trades than I am by dumb doctors or engineers or computer programmers.

10. Jan 15, 2006 #9
    That is somewhat scary.

11. Jan 15, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ack. You wonder how this happens.

Maybe like this!!

GET YOUR LEGAL COLLEGE DEGREE IN 5 DAYS!

Have you ever thought that the only thing stopping you from a great job and better pay was a few letters behind your name? Well now you can get them instantly and legally!

BA BSc BCom MA MBA PhD Degrees!

100% Approval! No Coursework! 100% Legal!

I think I will be a neuro surgeon next week. :tongue2:

http://theshopontop.com/collegedegreesnow/

These are Google ads, click at your own risk.

12. Jan 15, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I can't believe it Evo...

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  13. Jan 15, 2006 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

I'll graduate college tomorrow... :zzz:

14. Jan 15, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My god....

15. Jan 15, 2006 #14

Evo

Well, I'm also getting a PHD in experimental Physics so I can help out in the upper physics forums. Maybe next month I'll add a few more PHD's, any suggestions?

16. Jan 15, 2006 #15

JamesU

Gold Member

And you can see how these people deserve to be doctors

17. Jan 15, 2006 #16

Evo

Yomamma, you smooth devil, you can pretend to be a 13 year old prodigy.

18. Jan 15, 2006 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

Thx evo :smile:

this message was not edited:uhh:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  19. Jan 15, 2006 #18

Evo

Yes, of course. :smile:

20. Jan 15, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah I think im going to get a quadruple doctorate. Physics, Math, History.... maybe a little Mechanical Engineering..

21. Jan 15, 2006 #20

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, that's at least as much training that Presidents get to qualify for having their finger on the nuke trigger ...! ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?