Going into a field unrelated to my undergrad degree?

In summary: I would be able to get into their Computational Science Master's program. So, I took the courses and now I'm a few credits away from finishing.Welcome to the forums, hd0.I don't really have any direct experience in anything like this, but I guess an obvious suggestion would be to look for a computationally heavy post-graduate course in something like bioinformatics - I have no doubt that there exists a course somewhere like this for life science graduates. If full time study isn't an option, then you could try distance learning so you have some certificate proving your ability.In summary, bachelors in biochemistry can't always easily transfer into a more computational field, but
hd0
I have a bachelors in biochemistry and am currently working as a research technician, doing wet lab work. As of late, I have become more interested in the field of computer science. I would especially like to go into a field that is the mix of biochem and compsci (bioinformatics/computational biology). However, I have never taken a single computer science class, though I have been trying to learn Perl & Python on my own.

How can I make the jump from biochem to a more computational related field? Most places, even for entry level jobs, won't hire me due to my background and have I never taken a computer science class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, hd0.

I don't really have any direct experience in anything like this, but I guess an obvious suggestion would be to look for a computationally heavy post-graduate course in something like bioinformatics - I have no doubt that there exists a course somewhere like this for life science graduates. If full time study isn't an option, then you could try distance learning so you have some certificate proving your ability.

Hopefully someone else will be able to be more directly insightful! If it were me, I'd try a few different things:
look for graduate university courses,
graduate training programmes within large companies (where there may be the opportunity to spread out your interests, since large companies like to complete the necessary relevant training themselves for new graduates),
otherwise you could have a look at any informatics workers in your previous department, see if they have a CV listed online and if so, how they made their way into the field.

theres an old saying about writing and writing degrees (MFA):
real writers don't get degrees. they write. they get published. they're writers.

i would recommend either getting some kind of classes and learn the intro/background stuff. try asking your employer if they can pay to help get you more computer skills.

or just write code and make applications and put them online/for sale. its hard, but if you're interested in getting a phd, would be a GREAT thing on the application.

I am in a similar situation. I have a BA in Political Science, and am now decedied to go back for a Masters in Computational Science. This maybe something you should look into. It is similar to Computer Science, but a little different. You use Math and Computers to anylaze data and make predictions about the world. The data you would be anylzing could be from any field, including Bio what ever. You do need to be strong at math (Completion of Calc2) and have basic programing skills. It will take me one year of Pre-Req to get in, but after that it is smooth sailing. Don't know if that helps, but Good Luck!

EG

Poker-face said:
I am in a similar situation. I have a BA in Political Science, and am now decedied to go back for a Masters in Computational Science. This maybe something you should look into. It is similar to Computer Science, but a little different. You use Math and Computers to anylaze data and make predictions about the world. The data you would be anylzing could be from any field, including Bio what ever. You do need to be strong at math (Completion of Calc2) and have basic programing skills. It will take me one year of Pre-Req to get in, but after that it is smooth sailing. Don't know if that helps, but Good Luck!

EG

The Master's program accepted you with a BA in Political Science? Can you explain more please? I have a BA in Communications and plan to go back to get a BS in Engineering or Science. I didn't know it was possible to jump into a Master's without a relevant degree.. Hmm..

I went from BA in Physics to a MS in Comp Engineering. Never took a single CS/computer class. I knew programming from personal projects/experience.

They had me take the basic courses to get started, which is typically data structures, algorithms, and an intro to an OO language. It's all you really needed, no matter what degree/background you come from to get started in a CS field.Also, bioinformatics isn't as programming intensive, unless you plan on developing the tools for that field.

"The Master's program accepted you with a BA in Political Science? Can you explain more please? I have a BA in Communications and plan to go back to get a BS in Engineering or Science. I didn't know it was possible to jump into a Master's without a relevant degree.. Hmm.."

I thought about starting over and getting a BS in Engineering, until I met with a The Head of the Computational Science Department from the State College I graduated from in NJ. He told me that if I had up to Calc 2 and 2 classes in Programing That was all I need to get into the Masters of Computational Science. He is waving a few science course that he would like to see. I don't know about all schools, but like I said I have 2 Semesters of Pre-Req's then I can start the Masters Program which I believe is only 36 Credits. Hope this helps.

EG

Can you not use the computer in your lab work? For instance, can you store results in a database or spreadsheet? Many databases and spreadsheets have a programming language integrated in with them (e.g., VBA in Microsoft Excel). If you develop some VBA programs to manipulate the data then you'll be doing some real programming that you can put on your CV! That'll impress people more than some course you might take (although you can do that as well...)

Related to Going into a field unrelated to my undergrad degree?

What are the benefits of going into a field unrelated to my undergrad degree?

There are several potential benefits to pursuing a career in a field unrelated to your undergraduate degree. One benefit is that it allows you to explore different interests and passions that you may not have had the opportunity to pursue during your undergraduate studies. It also allows you to gain a diverse set of skills and knowledge, which can make you more marketable to employers. Additionally, going into a different field can open up new career opportunities and help you to grow both personally and professionally.

Will my undergraduate degree still be relevant in a different field?

While your undergraduate degree may not directly relate to the field you are pursuing, the skills and knowledge you gained during your studies can still be valuable. Many transferable skills, such as critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving, are applicable to a variety of industries. Additionally, your undergraduate degree may have provided you with a strong foundation in certain subjects that can be useful in different fields.

How can I make the transition into a different field?

Making the transition into a different field may require some additional education or training, depending on the specific field you are interested in. You can also look for opportunities to gain experience in your desired field through internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs. Networking with professionals in the industry can also be helpful in learning about job opportunities and gaining insights into the field.

Will employers see my undergraduate degree as a disadvantage in a different field?

It is important to remember that employers are looking for a diverse set of skills and experiences in candidates, rather than just a specific degree. While some employers may prefer candidates with a relevant degree, many are more interested in your skills, knowledge, and potential for growth. Be sure to highlight your transferable skills and relevant experiences in your job application and interviews.

What are some examples of successful career changes into unrelated fields?

There are countless examples of individuals who have successfully transitioned into a different field from their undergraduate degree. For example, actress Natalie Portman studied psychology at Harvard University but pursued a successful career in acting. Business magnate and investor Warren Buffett has a degree in business administration but is known for his success in the stock market. Many successful entrepreneurs have also pursued careers in fields unrelated to their undergraduate degrees. With determination, hard work, and a willingness to learn, you can make a successful career change into a different field.