Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gokart Stepper Power Steering Help

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    Hello PF, A friend and I are building a rather cool Gokart with regenerative braking and UltraCapacitors etc...

Instead of using conventional mechanical steering we plan on using stepper motors for a makeshift power steering system

My question is I cant figure out the required Torque/Force the motors need in order to turn the wheels at rest. I know that as your speed increases you need less force to steer so if I calculate for rest I can cover everything.

I know my calculations need to include: Coeffecient of Friction and Normal force, and that torque = radius * force, but I dont know which radius to use.

The weight of the kart is about 400lbs with the majority at the back with the motors etc..

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is all about the mechanical trail and scrub radius. See http://www.optimumg.com/OptimumGWebSite/Documents/OptimumK%20Help%20File%20v1.1/KPI%20_%20Caster_legacy.htm" [Broken] for more info.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook