Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goldmans get rights to Simpson book

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MIAMI - A federal bankruptcy judge Friday awarded Ron Goldman's family the rights to O.J. Simpson's canceled book, "If I Did It," which the Goldmans want to rename "Confessions of a Double Murderer."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070616/ap_on_en_ot/simpson_lawsuit

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is so strange to see Simpson in old movies. Or course, it was stranger to watch the LAPD chase him up the 405 fwy.

From what I heard about the book it did sound like a confession; almost like he wanted to tell everyone how smart he was. Still, I agreed with the criminal verdict of innocent. We can't allow cops to run amok no matter how sure they may be that a person is guilty. And the LAPD has a long history of abuse. I think Simpson was guilty but there was a greater principle at stake - Constitutional Law. And it was possible that evidence had been tampered with by Fuhrman and his buddy.

And, frankly, I think this idea of being innocent of a crime but guilty for civil liablity is hogwash. AFAIC it is double jeopardy.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  4. Jun 19, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you think they'll be able to put the book out with that new title?

5. Jun 19, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know. He was ruled liable for their deaths but found innocent of murder. Like I said, it makes no sense to me at all. If he was found innocent of committing murder, can he sue Goldman for calling him a murderer? I tend to think so. Unless they have taken the abuse of double jeopardy to the point of absurdity, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

This lists the findings of the jury in the civil suit. You tell me.
    http://www.cnn.com/US/9702/04/jury.questions/index.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?