Good books on Multivariate Statistics

In summary, multivariate statistics is a branch of statistics that deals with the analysis of data sets with multiple variables. It is important for understanding complex relationships between variables and making accurate predictions or inferences. Some common techniques used in multivariate statistics include principal component analysis, factor analysis, cluster analysis, and discriminant analysis. There are many books on multivariate statistics, such as "Multivariate Data Analysis" by Hair, Black, Babin, and Anderson, "Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis" by Johnson and Wichern, and "Multivariate Statistical Methods: A Primer" by Manly. Multivariate statistics has practical applications in market research, social sciences, and medical research, allowing for the analysis of consumer behavior, identifying factors that contribute to
artbio
Hi.

I am going to have my Multivariate Statistics exam in two weeks. I am going by a book that isn't available in the English literature. But I don't like it, because it has several omissions. Can you recommend me any good books in English? I can borrow many (for free) at my institution's library. So getting them is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what level you need. To good ones at the intermediate/advanced theoretical level are Anderson's "Introduction to Multivariate Statistical Analysis" and Muirhead's "Aspects of Multivariate Statistical Theory".

What is multivariate statistics?

Multivariate statistics is a branch of statistics that deals with the analysis of data sets with multiple variables. It involves examining the relationships between multiple variables and making predictions or inferences based on those relationships.

Why is it important to study multivariate statistics?

Multivariate statistics allows for a more comprehensive analysis of data compared to univariate statistics, which only examines one variable at a time. It is important for understanding complex relationships between variables and making accurate predictions or inferences.

What are some common techniques used in multivariate statistics?

Some common techniques used in multivariate statistics include principal component analysis, factor analysis, cluster analysis, and discriminant analysis. These techniques help to reduce the complexity of the data and identify patterns or relationships between variables.

What are some good books on multivariate statistics?

Some popular books on multivariate statistics include "Multivariate Data Analysis" by Hair, Black, Babin, and Anderson, "Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis" by Johnson and Wichern, and "Multivariate Statistical Methods: A Primer" by Manly. These books cover a wide range of topics and are suitable for both beginners and advanced readers.

How can multivariate statistics be applied in real-world situations?

Multivariate statistics has many practical applications, such as in market research, social sciences, and medical research. It can be used to analyze consumer behavior, identify factors that contribute to certain diseases, and understand the relationships between different variables in a complex system.