Good Books for an undergraduate first year Mech Eng.

In summary, the Mechanical Engineering student recommends buying a book that will provide a basic understanding of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. The student also recommends buying a book on solid mechanics.
knight92
Hi, I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering and I am in the first year. Can you guys suggest me any good books for thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. I am ready to buy more than just one book. I atleast want a book that can provide me with some basics(Easy learning) just to give me an idea wht the hell thermodynamics and fluid mechanics is really about and get me started. Then move on to a more advance book that goes into detail but I want something that's easy to understand and well written, a book in which everything is well explained.
My teachers are of no help at all. I absolutely don't understand what they talk about in lectures and I can't go ask them for help personally because I don't know what I need help in. I am so confused. So please suggest some good books.

Currently I am using this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0486479250/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go talk with the profs. They can help figure out what you need help with.

if I go talk to them they ask me what I need help in and I don't have an answer because I don't even know what's going on. I just need a good book to understand some bits .That way I would know what I need help in and then maybe I can go to my professor and ask him what is this and how does that work.

If you're just looking for an overview of a bunch of general topics, I'd recommend picking up a copy of

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071428674/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has a vast range of general information about engineering topics.

It's a little bit pricey, and the topics covered are broad, so I'd recommend that before you buy it, swing by a bookstore and have a look inside - or ask one if one of your professors have a copy handy to page through. I asked for a copy for Christmas the year I graduated.

Last edited by a moderator:
That link to amazon shows Fermi's thermo book. If you are having trouble with thermo, buy it - it is cheap and very well written. You can read it in a few days, and get a very good idea of what other books are trying to tell you. It is short and to the point but it starts at the beginning.

I used Thermodynamics by Sonntag when I was an undergrad. Still use to this day at work. I also tutored undergrads using this book.

I think it is still in print or you could find older versions. Excellent book for giving a working practical knowledge of this subject.

Hi guys thanks for your replies. I will most definitely check these books out at the library if not then ebay and amazon. Those books are for basic understanding of thermodynamics. What books should I use for Mechanics of fluid ?

knight92 said:
Hi guys thanks for your replies. I will most definitely check these books out at the library if not then ebay and amazon. Those books are for basic understanding of thermodynamics. What books should I use for Mechanics of fluid ?
Fox & McDonald is the one I find the most useful.

I am a second year part time undergraduate and design engineer,

I bought this book before I started work,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0750619600/?tag=pfamazon01-20

it has solid/fluid mechanics, materials, engineering design in it that if your ever stuck it will give you a simple equation or you can understand how the problem can be resolved.

and for solid mechanics only, roark is always a good book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, Already bought the fermi enrico one so far so good going to read it this weekend. I will try those other books too hopefully I will understand abit more.

Related to Good Books for an undergraduate first year Mech Eng.

1. What are some good books for an undergraduate first year Mech Eng.?

Some good books for an undergraduate first year Mech Eng. include "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" by R.C. Hibbeler, "Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, "Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch, and "Engineering Design: A Project-Based Introduction" by Clive L. Dym and Patrick Little.

2. Are there any specific books that are recommended for Mech Eng. students?

While there are many books that can be helpful for Mech Eng. students, some specific recommendations include "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" by Richard G. Budynas and Keith J. Nisbett, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, Theodore H. Okiishi, and Wade W. Huebsch, and "Machine Design: An Integrated Approach" by Robert L. Norton.

3. What are the key topics that should be covered in a good book for first year Mech Eng. students?

A good book for first year Mech Eng. students should cover topics such as statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, materials science and engineering, machine design, and fluid mechanics. It should also provide a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and basic engineering principles.

4. Are there any online resources or e-books that can be used as alternatives to traditional textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources and e-books that can be used as alternatives to traditional textbooks. Some examples include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and OpenStax. These resources offer free access to educational materials and can be a great supplement to traditional textbooks.

5. How can I choose the best book for my specific needs and interests as a first year Mech Eng. student?

To choose the best book for your specific needs and interests, you can consider factors such as the author's expertise, the book's level of difficulty, the topics covered, and the format (e.g. traditional textbook, e-book, online resource). It can also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students in the field.