Good Books for an undergraduate first year Mech Eng.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 10K views
knight92
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering and I am in the first year. Can you guys suggest me any good books for thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. I am ready to buy more than just one book. I atleast want a book that can provide me with some basics(Easy learning) just to give me an idea wht the hell thermodynamics and fluid mechanics is really about and get me started. Then move on to a more advance book that goes into detail but I want something that's easy to understand and well written, a book in which everything is well explained.
My teachers are of no help at all. I absolutely don't understand what they talk about in lectures and I can't go ask them for help personally because I don't know what I need help in. I am so confused. So please suggest some good books.

Currently I am using this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0486479250/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
if I go talk to them they ask me what I need help in and I don't have an answer because I don't even know what's going on. I just need a good book to understand some bits .That way I would know what I need help in and then maybe I can go to my professor and ask him what is this and how does that work.
 
If you're just looking for an overview of a bunch of general topics, I'd recommend picking up a copy of

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071428674/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has a vast range of general information about engineering topics.

It's a little bit pricey, and the topics covered are broad, so I'd recommend that before you buy it, swing by a bookstore and have a look inside - or ask one if one of your professors have a copy handy to page through. I asked for a copy for Christmas the year I graduated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That link to amazon shows Fermi's thermo book. If you are having trouble with thermo, buy it - it is cheap and very well written. You can read it in a few days, and get a very good idea of what other books are trying to tell you. It is short and to the point but it starts at the beginning.
 
I used Thermodynamics by Sonntag when I was an undergrad. Still use to this day at work. I also tutored undergrads using this book.

I think it is still in print or you could find older versions. Excellent book for giving a working practical knowledge of this subject.
 
Hi guys thanks for your replies. I will most definitely check these books out at the library if not then ebay and amazon. Those books are for basic understanding of thermodynamics. What books should I use for Mechanics of fluid ?
 
knight92 said:
Hi guys thanks for your replies. I will most definitely check these books out at the library if not then ebay and amazon. Those books are for basic understanding of thermodynamics. What books should I use for Mechanics of fluid ?
Fox & McDonald is the one I find the most useful.
 
I am a second year part time undergraduate and design engineer,

I bought this book before I started work,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0750619600/?tag=pfamazon01-20

it has solid/fluid mechanics, materials, engineering design in it that if your ever stuck it will give you a simple equation or you can understand how the problem can be resolved.

and for solid mechanics only, roark is always a good book.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, Already bought the fermi enrico one so far so good going to read it this weekend. I will try those other books too hopefully I will understand abit more.