1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good textbook to complement Physics II?

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    I am currently taking Physics II and need a good textbook to complement my course. We are using a free one, Spiral Physics, which is relatively worthless. It explains very basic concepts, but gives very few (if any) real-world examples and at least half the answers in the back for Physics II are wrong, so you have no way to even check yourself to make sure you are doing it all right.

I have heard of Halliday and Morin (have the Morin Classical Mechanics already), but not sure how either of their books are for Physics II? I would like something challenging, comprehensive, has a good amount of problems with answers to try out, and digestible to someone who is still in the process of taking Physics II.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2
    Oh, just to add, I do have Physics for Scientists and Engineers from Ohanian. Seems decent as I used vol. 1 of it to complement my Physics I course, but if there is something that would be better, I'm all ears.

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    You say you have Morin's CM book, but that's for CM and isn't Physics II generally EM?

5. Feb 19, 2014 #4
    Yes, you are right. My point was that I know Morin is one of the more challenging books when it comes to CM, but I didn't know how theirs was for EM. Some authors can be hit or miss depending on the topic, so I didn't want to make any assumptions. I also don't like to base my conclusions off feedback on Amazon because a lot of people will give bad ratings because they couldn't keep up with the content. Figured I'd get more reliable feedback here.

6. Feb 20, 2014 #5
  7. Mar 9, 2014 #6
    I liked (Arthur) Kip, Electricity and Magnetism. Amazon gives it several 5-star reviews. I have heard Kip is out of print however. Maybe your library has it. I have not looked in the book for years though so I am not really familiar with it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted