1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Good University for Chemical Engineering

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    I'm a Caribbean student in my final year of high school and want to go to a University in the United States. Could anyone give me an idea of how good the engineering programs, notably chemical are at these schools:

Florida Institute of Technology
    Howard University
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    Drexel University
    Hampton University
    Widener University

Also could someone suggest other good universities which offer chemical engineering. I'm not looking for THE best engineering school out there just one which is acredited and respectable.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2
    University of Delaware is very good (i.e thats where Dupont is based).

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    You might want to look at Rice University.

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4
    You're looking for ABET accreditation. List:

http://www.aiche.org/Students/Careers/AccredUniversities.aspx

All the colleges you listed have accredited ChemE programs. My personal opinion is that "how good" the program is matters less to you the student than many people think going into college. If it's accredited, it meets a certain basic standard with regard to the material covered. If you want to get a better education than just that, it's going to mostly come down to what you do to learn more than just what's required for class. Most research universities are supportive to some degree with helping undergraduates get research experience or study topics beyond the required material, but this is stuff you have to go out and find and commit to on your own.

That said, a nice thing to compare is the percentage of how many students continue to graduate studies...can't hurt to talk to undergraduates there to find out how easy it is to get research funding either. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?