GPA and Graduate School Admittance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Moneer81
Messages
158
Reaction score
2
Hello,

I know I know...it is not all about the GPA. Graduate school admittance is based on many factors like GRE scores, recommendations, research experience, etc.

My question however is: what is the GPA at which admission to a graduate program will be rather challenging? I am obviously asking about myself. I am getting ready to apply and my GPA is not bad, but it is not stellar either. It is above 3.0, but not by much.

I have decent research experience and other related hands-on skills, I also have some professional experience. I believe I can get very good recommendations and I am determined to do well on the GREs. Are most schools only interested in high GPA students? Should I not waste my time with competitive programs and focus on smaller less prestigious universities instead?

If any of you guys can relate from personal experience or experiences of people that you know, that would be helpful too...

Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for posting that forum, DrummingAtom, I didn't know it existed!
 
Also add to your sample size by checking gradcafe.org. Some departments publish info on the average gpa's and scores of admitted students and I just had a positive experience exchanging emails with an admissions director on the subject, so it never hurts to ask directly if that info isn't available on their sites.
 
I'm interested in this as well. Only, I am on the other end of the spectrum (higher GPA, probably less stellar letters of recommendation)
 
Thanks! Great resource...but reading those profiles has been a little depressing!

It definitely helps though...
 
3.0 is a magic number - it's the minimum required to continue in grad school in most places, and universities don't like investing time in their students only to have them flunk out. Since grad classes are harder than undergrad, that means that they like to see undergrad grades significantly higher than 3.0.