1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GPA and Graduate School Admittance

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I know I know...it is not all about the GPA. Graduate school admittance is based on many factors like GRE scores, recommendations, research experience, etc.

My question however is: what is the GPA at which admission to a graduate program will be rather challenging? I am obviously asking about myself. I am getting ready to apply and my GPA is not bad, but it is not stellar either. It is above 3.0, but not by much.

I have decent research experience and other related hands-on skills, I also have some professional experience. I believe I can get very good recommendations and I am determined to do well on the GREs. Are most schools only interested in high GPA students? Should I not waste my time with competitive programs and focus on smaller less prestigious universities instead?

If any of you guys can relate from personal experience or experiences of people that you know, that would be helpful too...

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2
  4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks for posting that forum, DrummingAtom, I didn't know it existed!

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4
    Also add to your sample size by checking gradcafe.org. Some departments publish info on the average gpa's and scores of admitted students and I just had a positive experience exchanging emails with an admissions director on the subject, so it never hurts to ask directly if that info isn't available on their sites.

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    I'm interested in this as well. Only, I am on the other end of the spectrum (higher GPA, probably less stellar letters of recommendation)

7. Nov 25, 2012 #6
    Thanks! Great resource...but reading those profiles has been a little depressing!

It definitely helps though...

8. Nov 25, 2012 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

3.0 is a magic number - it's the minimum required to continue in grad school in most places, and universities don't like investing time in their students only to have them flunk out. Since grad classes are harder than undergrad, that means that they like to see undergrad grades significantly higher than 3.0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook