GPA Started off Bad, any chance?

• Thread starter SiuKing666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
In summary, in year 2, your GPA is climbing up, but still you know you will have a hard time compensating and eventually when you graduate, your GPA won't be in the category of "excellent". You need to focus on getting good grades in more difficult courses, attending a few post-grad level courses, and getting research experience/internship to show you can do something. After all, a post-grad degree is always preferred (given not everyone is Einstein or Schrodinger).
SiuKing666
Hi all,

I am currently in my Year 2 study in BSC. Physics
my GPA was nowhere near good in year 1, because I wasn't familiar with how university works, and everything in the courses was new to me. (I don't mind posting the numerical value here if it helps analyzing my situation)
PS: My major GPA >> Cumulative GPA

So anyway, now that in year 2 i know what's going on, I am getting better grades in my courses
now and my GPA is climbing up; but still I know I will have a hard time compensating and eventually when I graduate, my GPA won't be in the category of "excellent".

I am just going to ask, I really want to pursue a career in Physics, and most of the time a post-grad degree is always preferred (given not everyone is Einstein or Schrodinger), I just want to know, if my GPA is not a sure-win, say...barely/just enough, is there any means I can increase my chance of admission?

I have read some articles and so far I have saw these suggestions:
- Try getting good grades in more difficult courses, as they may outweigh the crappy grades in easy courses (my year 1 mess)
- Try attending a few post-grad level courses and get good grades on the transcript to show people your ability
- Get research experience/internship to show you can do something

Some professors also told me GPA is not such a big thing when they admit students, they also look at your interview/resume/personality etc etc. But it varies from professor to professor, everyone has their own standard;
can someone share your experience?
did anyone not get a decent gpa but managed to do something to turn the table?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SiuKing666 said:
I have read some articles and so far I have saw these suggestions:
- Try getting good grades in more difficult courses, as they may outweigh the crappy grades in easy courses (my year 1 mess)
- Try attending a few post-grad level courses and get good grades on the transcript to show people your ability
- Get research experience/internship to show you can do something

Listen to what your professors say!

But also follow this piece of advice:
"Get research experience/internship to show you can do something"

Your graduate application will go much better with great recommendations from your professors, so it helps to show them your interest and ability by working in a research lab. The second item is GRE scores which pass the cutoff for the program where you are applying.

I don't think that taking a few "hard graduate courses" will show much - you will do better to focus on your undergraduate studies. After all, they are the pre-reqs for the graduate courses ... how well do you think you will do in graduate statistical mechanics if you have not taken the undergrad pre-reqs?

And make sure you get the best grades you can in those "easy" classes; they show that you are interested, and they will improve your GPA.

SiuKing666 said:
most of the time a post-grad degree is always preferred (given not everyone is Einstein or Schrodinger)

Einstein got his Ph.D. in 1905 at the University of Zurich.

Schrodinger got his habilitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation) in 1914 at the University of Vienna.

So even if you *are* Einstein or Schodinger, a post-grad degree is necessary. :smile:

And I would say "necessary", not "preferred".

You have time, but not much, to get your act together...

1. Can I still improve my GPA if I started off with a bad one?

Yes, it is possible to improve your GPA even if you started with a low one. It will require hard work, dedication, and a strategic approach to studying and completing assignments.

2. How long will it take to raise my GPA?

The amount of time it takes to raise your GPA will depend on various factors such as the number of classes you need to retake, the number of credits you have already completed, and the grades you receive in future classes. It is important to have realistic expectations and to focus on steady improvement rather than a quick fix.

3. Will retaking classes improve my GPA?

Retaking classes can improve your GPA, but it is not a guarantee. Some schools will replace your previous grade with the new one, while others will average the two grades together. It is important to check with your school's policies before retaking a class.

4. Are there any specific study strategies that can help improve my GPA?

Yes, there are several study strategies that can help improve your GPA. These include creating a study schedule, seeking help from professors or tutors, actively participating in class, and reviewing material regularly. It is also important to focus on understanding the material rather than just memorizing it.

5. Can I still get into graduate school or a good job with a low GPA?

While a high GPA is often preferred by graduate schools and employers, it is not the only factor they consider. Your extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and personal statement can also play a significant role in the admissions or hiring process. It is important to showcase your strengths in other areas and to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your GPA.