1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GR: Quick Q, conservation energy, stuck on algebra

1. Dec 29, 2014 #1
    I'm stuck on deriving the follow. Context: FRW Metric, dust dominated universe, use of conservation of energy-momentum tensor. I'll now state all the equations I can see are relevant. (But just in case the source is http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf and it's eq 8.43).

## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3}) = a^{3}(\dot{\rho}+3\rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}) = -3pa^{2}\dot{a} ##, and it's the last equation I am stuck on. I am getting it to be ## -3 \rho a^{2}\dot{a} ##...

2. Relevant Equations:

## 0 = \bigtriangledown_{a}T^{a}_{0}=-\partial_{0}\rho=3\frac{\dot{a}}{a}(\rho +p) ## [1]

and using ##p=w\rho ##
    this becomes:

##\frac{dot{\rho}}{\rho}=-3(1+w)\frac{\dot{a}}{a}##, [2]
    where for dust w takes the value 0.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I believe the last equality comes from [1], and for dust we have P=0, which is why I get ## -3 \rho a^{2}\dot{a} ##. (the second equality I can see is just differetiating).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't see what you are stuck on. ## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3})## is not the same thing as ##\frac{d}{dt}(\rho)##. Which one do you want in the case p=0? If it's the first just substitute the result from [1] into the expression for ## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3})##.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted