1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad Dip in Science (Physics) for an Electrical Engineer?

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    I graduated with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Commerce from a good-ranking Australian university in 2010.

I've been in the workforce for 18 months – found it to be not nearly as stimulating as the uni environment, so I'm contemplating the possibility of pursuing a masters or PhD. I'm interested in areas which are very 'physics-related' such as photovoltaic cell design, semiconductor physics and quantum phenomena (areas such as control of quantum systems). I would not rule out the possibility of becoming an academic, as I feel it would suit my personality and likings rather well.

The question I have is whether I should devote a year of enhancing my physics knowledge in areas of interest by embarking on studying a grad dip in physics, or would it be more sensible for somebody like me to simply attempt to go straight into a masters/PhD in one of the areas I've listed despite the lack of physics emphasis in my Engineering degree?

Thanks guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2
    I'd talk with some graduate advisors at schools you are looking at for those programs. As a graduate EE student you often get credit towards your program for Math, Physics and/or CS classes taken at an appropriate level.

See what level the programs expect your physics knowledge base to be and take the requisite physics classes in the beginning semesters of your grad degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook