Grad School Admission questions

In summary: I would say your odds of admission are around 75% if you are admitted to a Top 25 school. Your chances of receiving a financial aid are about 50/50, but this will largely depend on the program you are applying to and your financial situation.
mn446kon
Hello. I'm an international student studying Computer Engineering at University of Wyoming. I'm graduating in December 2009 and I hoped to get some advice regarding the admission of a grad school based on my standing.

I've already took the GRE, and I got 600/760/4.0 for Verbal, Quantitative, and writing respectively so I think I did O.K. in it. Problem lies on my current GPA, as it is at 2.8, but that is because I failed couple of classes and I plan to retake them before I graduate. I expect the GPA to be raised at least above 3.1 by then.

So the question I wanted to ask is, if I wanted to apply for M.S degree in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Science at schools such as Texas A&M and UT at Austin (I ruled out Tier 1 schools to begin with due to my GPA), what do you think my odds of getting in will be? If I DO get in, what about the odds of receiving a financial aid?

I know this is an absurd question to ask, but I'd seriously appreciate your honest opinions on this matter. This issue has been troubling me for quite a while. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah yes.. that's practically what I meant, but Austin was kind of an exception in the case I guess.

Anyways, any thoughts on my odds?

Admissions to top 25 schools is still very very competitive. It might be a notch below top 10 admissions, but it is still very difficult. You should contact the department you are interested in and gauge what your chances are. But there is not a significant dropoff in terms of competitiveness when you go from top 10 to top 25.

I might even argue that the quality of a Top 25 school is often the same or better than a Top 10 school: just not in all subfields.

1. What are the requirements for getting into grad school?

The specific requirements for getting into grad school vary depending on the program and university. Generally, you will need to have a bachelor's degree or equivalent, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a research proposal.

2. How important are my undergraduate grades for grad school admission?

Your undergraduate grades are typically one of the most important factors in grad school admissions. Admissions committees look for students with a strong academic record, as it demonstrates your ability to handle the rigor of graduate-level coursework. However, other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement can also help strengthen your application.

3. Do I need to take the GRE for grad school admission?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is commonly required for admission to grad school. However, not all programs or universities require the GRE, so it is important to check the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in. Some programs may also accept alternative tests, such as the GMAT or MCAT.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting into grad school?

To improve your chances of getting into grad school, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant work experience, and a well-written personal statement. It can also be helpful to have letters of recommendation from professors or employers who can speak to your skills and potential for success in graduate school. Additionally, gaining research experience and participating in extracurricular activities related to your field of study can also make your application stand out.

5. When should I start preparing for grad school admission?

It is recommended to start preparing for grad school admission at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, study for admissions tests, and gather all necessary materials for your application. It is also important to carefully consider which programs and universities are the best fit for you and your career goals. Starting early will give you enough time to thoroughly prepare and submit a strong application.