1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Grad School: Distance Learning ? Theoretical physics

1. Aug 31, 2016 #1
    I will be graduating with a bachelors degree in physics in the next year. Most of my professors have advised me that if I am considering graduate school (which I am), to just go straight for a PhD instead of stopping at a MA. Unfortunately, my family is currently in a terrible place financially, and at the moment, it is not possible for me to relocate more than an hour or two away from where I currently live.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a distance learning program for theoretical physics or astronomy. If anyone has any recommendations as to the most efficient method for pursuing a PhD without the trouble of having to relocate I would be most grateful. Thank you!

P.S.- My grades are decent ( >3.5 gpa) and I have a respectable GRE score. If this affects programs I qualify for in any way.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

I'm not aware of any online PhD programs in physics or astronomy and I further believe this was the topic of another recent post.

As such, this won't be of profound help, but when I was working at Lawrence Berkeley Lab a colleague of mine was collaborating with an astronomer from Swinburne University in Australia. I was to understand that they had a decent remote advanced degree program in astronomy. If I'm not incorrect, one of my office mates was getting his (M.S. ?) degree remotely from the same university.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted