• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Schools Grad School: Distance Learning ? Theoretical physics

I will be graduating with a bachelors degree in physics in the next year. Most of my professors have advised me that if I am considering graduate school (which I am), to just go straight for a PhD instead of stopping at a MA. Unfortunately, my family is currently in a terrible place financially, and at the moment, it is not possible for me to relocate more than an hour or two away from where I currently live.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a distance learning program for theoretical physics or astronomy. If anyone has any recommendations as to the most efficient method for pursuing a PhD without the trouble of having to relocate I would be most grateful. Thank you!

P.S.- My grades are decent ( >3.5 gpa) and I have a respectable GRE score. If this affects programs I qualify for in any way.

DrSteve

Gold Member
I'm not aware of any online PhD programs in physics or astronomy and I further believe this was the topic of another recent post.

As such, this won't be of profound help, but when I was working at Lawrence Berkeley Lab a colleague of mine was collaborating with an astronomer from Swinburne University in Australia. I was to understand that they had a decent remote advanced degree program in astronomy. If I'm not incorrect, one of my office mates was getting his (M.S. ?) degree remotely from the same university.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/