1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School (engineering/physics)

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    I plan to get a BS in Engineering Physics and then apply to grad school and go for a masters in Mechanical. But what are "good" grad school looking for? Obviously good GRE and GPA, but how good? Also, what about grad school for physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2
    Generally speaking, grad schools want a 3.0 GPA or higher. Of course, some grad departments are more selective than others. You may need a higher GPA to be competitive. On the other hand, if your GPA is slightly lower than a 3.0, you still have a chance of getting accepted somewhere.

4. Oct 12, 2007 #3
    I'm told recommendations and research experience can balance a world of sins elsewhere.

They look at a lot of different things collectively, and each department is going to have its own methods. So at best, we can only speak generally. :(

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4
    If I get a C in one of my physics classes how bad will that hurt me?

6. Oct 15, 2007 #5
    I am pretty sure I am gonna end up with a C in the class, but if I retake it, I know for a fact I could get a B or possibly an A. The only thing is I delay taking my other physics courses.

7. Oct 15, 2007 #6
    I got a C in a physics class...it bothered me a lot for a while, then I started finding out that a lot of the people that were in it with me got the same or lower, and that it was well known among physics juniors and seniors for being something we all had to survive but that most everyone didn't do particularly well in. It happens sometimes, that's why you have a Physics GPA instead of just looking at your lowest grade over four years.

8. Oct 15, 2007 #7
    Absolutely. And don't underestimate public speaking and teaching skills. Grad departments need TA's, and undergrads really don't like TA's they can't understand.

9. Oct 15, 2007 #8
    Yeah...need to work on those. I saw some MIT grad doing an oral session at a conference recently...and his public speaking skills were about as bad as I know mine are. So while I know you can survive without, I'm trying to figure out how to get myself into a low-pressure low-commitment situation where I can get practice (i.e. so I can skip out and do homework as often needed ^_^).

"Really don't like"==>"@&)(&$&!!!"? :yuck:

10. Oct 16, 2007 #9
    Well, the class I am taking is not upper-level. But it is a difficult class; it just got ranked as one of the hardest classes to pass in the U.S., with a 25% pass rate. The thing is, do I want this C on my transcript? Which of course I really don't. But should I drop and retake it?
    This is really dishearting situation to me, an aspiring physics major.

11. Oct 16, 2007 #10
    Physics classes can be hard. There is a reason people cringe when you tell them you're pursuing physics. Physics classes can be hard.

That being said,

"Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration" - Einstein.

Even if you can't get an A in the class, as long as most of the other students can't either and you are working hard then you should be fine. Did I mention physics is hard? This is meant to be encouragement BTW.

12. Oct 16, 2007 #11
    Off topic, but not thread worthy:
    What are the differences between an undergraduate degre and a grad school degree in terms of job availability, salary and advancement possibilites in engineering generally speaking?

13. Oct 16, 2007 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Go here, and look at the Employment Salary statistics for physics degrees. I would assume similar statistics can be found with the relevant engineering societies.

Zz.

14. Oct 16, 2007 #13
    huh? I thought Thomas Edison said that.

15. Oct 16, 2007 #14
    Yah I talk to alot of people and they say "change your major!" But the thing is, I can't because I like physics too much. I go to an engineering specialty school but I don't think I could be an engineer.

16. Oct 16, 2007 #15
    bah any kind of prepackaged class is easy. original work is hard.

17. Apr 14, 2010 #16
    your GRE quant score will help out a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?