Grad School or Job After Physics Degree: What Should You Choose?

  • Thread starter Thread starter elegysix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Undergrad
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
elegysix
Messages
404
Reaction score
15
So I'm going to graduate with a B.S. in physics in a few weeks, and I'm looking for advice. Should I go for grad school immediately, or go for a physics job/career? Do many physics related jobs pay for/support grad school?

I know that if I get the proper certification, I can teach physics in public schools. What is it like to work for the public school system? Do they support grad school?

I know this is a huge topic. All comments/input are welcome.

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have no real idea what you want to do, graduate school isn't a bad option. It gives you time before you have to pay off loans, it is an easy source of income (if you can secure funding), and it qualifies you for higher level jobs, assuming you choose the correct field.

However, you should NOT go to graduate school simply to put-off having to find a job. You should have a rough idea of the field you'd like to prepare to transition into after you graduate before you begin, and you should take that into consideration when deciding what schools you accept an offer from. Once you know that, the research you do should require skills which you can later market to potential employers.

As for the rest of your post, I went the grad school route so I can't reliably give you advice.