Grades or Internship Experience?

In summary: Ok, going on with choice #2 then, would it look better if I continued to work for my current company (Intel) or got a new internship position for the spring? I'm particularly thinking about IBM or Computer Associates. Do you think that's a good idea? Also, have you heard any experiences for either of those companies that previous interns have had?Well, let me ask -- are you going to be staying with Intel after you graduate? Have you already been made an offer?If you are staying with Intel, and they have made you an offer, the benefit of you staying there is that you'll continue to forge contacts and prove yourself so that when you start full-time you'll be well-known
fizzziks
I am a senior computer engineering major at a university in the US. My overall GPA is 3.4 and my major GPA is 3.85. I've had two summer internships and one 6 month co-op.

I'll be going to the workforce as engineer to one of the companies that I've worked for right after graduation. After that, in one year, I plan to apply to an Ivy League school for admission into their MS in Electrical Engineering program. Given that I do well with GRE, have strong recommendations, etc... which will look better:

1) If I focus on my last semester on bringing my grade up to 3.45-3.49?
2) Continue on with my co-op work experience this Spring as a part-timer and only graduate with a GPA of 3.4-3.45?

Note, the GPA I mentioned above are calculated to what I can get at most.

Physics news on Phys.org
fizzziks said:
I am a senior computer engineering major at a university in the US. My overall GPA is 3.4 and my major GPA is 3.85. I've had two summer internships and one 6 month co-op.

I'll be going to the workforce as engineer to one of the companies that I've worked for right after graduation. After that, in one year, I plan to apply to an Ivy League school for admission into their MS in Electrical Engineering program. Given that I do well with GRE, have strong recommendations, etc... which will look better:

1) If I focus on my last semester on bringing my grade up to 3.45-3.49?
2) Continue on with my co-op work experience this Spring as a part-timer and only graduate with a GPA of 3.4-3.45?

Note, the GPA I mentioned above are calculated to what I can get at most.

The GPA increase you're forecasting is not very significant. You're major GPA is very good, and your chances will be good based upon that. If you continue with your co-op, you might get an increase in your starting salary because it will count as more experience.

However, if I were you, I'd use my final semester to find some research. That would be a great addition to your professional and academic resume. That would count a huge amount towards your graduate school admissions.

Ok, going on with choice #2 then, would it look better if I continued to work for my current company (Intel) or got a new internship position for the spring? I'm particularly thinking about IBM or Computer Associates. Do you think that's a good idea? Also, have you heard any experiences for either of those companies that previous interns have had?

fizzziks said:
Ok, going on with choice #2 then, would it look better if I continued to work for my current company (Intel) or got a new internship position for the spring? I'm particularly thinking about IBM or Computer Associates. Do you think that's a good idea? Also, have you heard any experiences for either of those companies that previous interns have had?

Well, let me ask -- are you going to be staying with Intel after you graduate? Have you already been made an offer?

If you are staying with Intel, and they have made you an offer, the benefit of you staying there is that you'll continue to forge contacts and prove yourself so that when you start full-time you'll be well-known and get on some good projects.

If you have not been made an offer, I'd try a different company. This will be useful in two ways - it will let you see how another company operates and you can also list this as another, completely separate, work experience. This will increase your starting salary.

In my research I work closely with a few engineers from IBM and it is a great company. My lab has close associations with them. My best friend is going to be starting at their Fishkill, NY location as a software engineer this summer. He co-oped with them for two summers and he really loved it. I can't say I've had any experience with CA.

I guess I should ask - what are your goals in this situation? Just to increase the likelihood of getting into a top graduate school? I should mention that if you are doing something at your internship that aligns very closely with what you want to do in grad school, that will be very helpful in both applying for grad school and for impressing a potential adviser.

1. What is more important for career success, grades or internship experience?

Both grades and internship experience are important for career success. Grades demonstrate academic achievement and a strong understanding of the subject matter, while internship experience shows practical skills and real-world application. It is best to have a balance of both to stand out to potential employers.

2. Can a high GPA make up for a lack of internship experience?

A high GPA can be a valuable asset, but it is not a substitute for internship experience. Internship experience allows you to gain hands-on skills and make professional connections, which can be just as important as grades in the job market.

3. Are internships necessary for all majors?

Internships are not necessary for all majors, but they can be beneficial for any field. For some majors, internships may be required for graduation, while for others it may be optional. Regardless, internships provide valuable experience and can help students stand out in a competitive job market.

4. How do employers view a mix of good grades and relevant internship experience?

Employers typically value a mix of good grades and relevant internship experience. This combination shows a strong understanding of the subject matter as well as practical skills and experience in a professional setting. It can make a candidate stand out and be more competitive in the job market.

5. Can an internship lead to a job offer?

Yes, an internship can lead to a job offer. In fact, many employers use internships as a way to recruit and train potential employees. By gaining valuable experience and making a good impression during an internship, a student may have a higher chance of being offered a job with the company after graduation.