Gradient of higher rank tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses algebraic manipulation of the equation $$\nabla \cdot \left( \mathbf{e} : \nabla_{s} \mathbf{u} \right)$$, where ##e## is a third rank tensor, ##u## is a vector, ##\nabla_{s}## is the symmetric part of the gradient operator, and : is the double dot product. The summary includes the notation used in the book, the approach to solving the equation, and clarifications on the notation and indices used. It also discusses the appropriate indices to use for the vector ##u##.
chowdhury
TL;DR Summary
Algebraic manipulation
How to write following equation in index notation?

$$\nabla \cdot \left( \mathbf{e} : \nabla_{s} \mathbf{u} \right)$$
where ##e## is a third rank tensor, ##u## is a vector, ##\nabla_{s}## is the symmetric part of the gradient operator, : is the double dot product.

The way I approached is
$$\mathbf{e} : \nabla_{s} \mathbf{u} = e_{iJ} \nabla_{Jk} u_{k}$$, where i = x,y,z, and J = 1,2,3,4,5,6
$$\nabla \cdot \left( \mathbf{e} : \nabla_{s} \mathbf{u} \right) = \nabla_{i} e_{iJ} \nabla_{Jk} u_{k} = \frac{\partial e_{iJ}}{\partial r_{i}} \nabla_{Jk} u_{k} = e_{iJ} \nabla_{i} \nabla_{Jk} u_{k} = e_{iJ} \nabla_{i} u_{k, \color{red}{kJ}} = e_{iJ} u_{k, \color{red}{ikJ}} $$

But in the book it is written as

$$ \nabla_{i} e_{iL} \nabla_{Lj} u_{j} = \color{red}{e_{ikj} u_{j, ik}}$$

I am from the book, B. A. Auld, Acoustic fields and waves in solids, vol. 1, 1973.
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
Untitled4.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation used by your book is troublesome at best. In particular, using two indices on the single derivative is highly confusing and leads you to obtain three indices after a comma in the ##u_{k,ikJ}##. It is not at all clear what this would mean. I suggest you throw the notation with the capital indices out of the window or use a more transparent way of writing the translation from symmetric rank 2 tensors to capital indices. For example, you could introduce an object ##S_{Jik}## symmetric in ##ik## whose only purpose is translating between the 6-index and two symmetric 3-index notations although personally I would avoid this.

Anyway, for your case, the easiest way forward is (assuming ##e## is symmetric in the last two indices:
$$
\nabla\cdot {\bf e}:\nabla_s {\bf u} =
\partial_i e_{ijk} \partial_j u_k =
e_{ijk} u_{k,ji}
$$
If ##e## is not symmetric, only the symmetric part will contribute, but it can be helpful to explicitly note the symmetrization:
$$
\partial_i e_{ijk} \partial_{\{j} u_{k\}}
= e_{ijk} u_{\{k,j\}i}.
$$

chowdhury said:
Summary:: Algebraic manipulation

Note: If you do not know the answer, that is fine, but please be respectful to address the query, not telling me, it is so obvious, why din't the you read the whole book, etc. etc. It is most likely that I am missing something that I do not realize.
This is not a good way to start a thread where you ask to be helped for free. It comes across as ungrateful from the beginning and is more likely to make people who know the answer simply not answer.

• Informative
Likes chowdhury
Orodruin said:
The notation used by your book is troublesome at best. In particular, using two indices on the single derivative is highly confusing and leads you to obtain three indices after a comma in the ##u_{k,ikJ}##. It is not at all clear what this would mean. I suggest you throw the notation with the capital indices out of the window or use a more transparent way of writing the translation from symmetric rank 2 tensors to capital indices. For example, you could introduce an object ##S_{Jik}## symmetric in ##ik## whose only purpose is translating between the 6-index and two symmetric 3-index notations although personally I would avoid this.

Anyway, for your case, the easiest way forward is (assuming ##e## is symmetric in the last two indices:
$$
e_{ijk} u_{k,ji}
$$
If ##e## is not symmetric, only the symmetric part will contribute, but it can be helpful to explicitly note the symmetrization:
$$
\partial_i e_{ijk} \partial_{\{j} u_{k\}}
= e_{ijk} u_{\{k,j\}i}.
$$This is not a good way to start a thread where you ask to be helped for free. It comes across as ungrateful from the beginning and is more likely to make people who know the answer simply not answer.
@Orodruin : Thanks for the help. I was seeking for the answer for quite a while, until your response. This clarified my query.

1.) How would I write the transpose of a third rank tensor?
##d_{ijk}^{t} = d_{kji}##, then it is equal to ## = d_{kij}##, is it because of symmetry?

Reference:
I found in Wikipedia , strain-charge form
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

2.) How to represent indices in double differentiation?
$$\partial_{i} \partial_{j} u_{k} = u_{k, ji} \color{red}{\textup{ or }} u_{k, ij}$$

3.) In the book, I do not understand how the divergence of product of a third rank tensor and gradient of a vector is written as product, meaning taken out of the parentheses ( ),like this.

$$\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{e} : \nabla_{s} \mathbf{u}) = \frac{\partial }{\partial r_{i}} e_{iJ} \nabla_{Jk} u_{k} = \nabla_{i}e_{iJ} \nabla_{Jk}u_{k}$$

4.) Same issue here
$$\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{\phi}) = \nabla \cdot \mathbf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{\phi} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \frac{\partial }{\partial r_{i}} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r_{j}} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \phi_{ij} \color{red}{\textup{ or }} \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \phi_{ji} $$

5.) How to I choose the appropriate index in, what I mean ##u_{k}## or ##u_{i}##
$$
e_{ijk} u_{k,ji}
$$
Untitled5.png

Last edited:
chowdhury said:
First you would have to define what you mean by ”transpose”. It is not a generally applicable term and is typically only used for matrices. The more useful concept is whether or not a tensor has symmetries (or antisymmetries, or both), implying relations between the components. This can be between any pair of indices.

I strongly suggest looking at a textbook that is not 50 years old for a more modern approach.

chowdhury said:
Partial derivatives commute (at least under conditions applicable in most physics applications).

3 and 4) Parentheses are mainly for keeping track of order of operations and what the derivative acts on. If you can do this without the parenthes, they are not required.

5) It does not matter what dummy indices are named.

• Informative
Likes chowdhury
chowdhury said:
@Orodruin : Thanks for the help. I was seeking for the answer for quite a while, until your response. This clarified my query.

##d_{ijk}^{t} = d_{kji}##, then it is equal to ## = d_{kij}##, is it because of symmetry?

Reference:
I found in Wikipedia , strain-charge form

$$\partial_{i} \partial_{j} u_{k} = u_{k, ji} \color{red}{\textup{ or }} u_{k, ij}$$

3.) In the book, I do not understand how the divergence of product of a third rank tensor and gradient of a vector is written as product, meaning taken out of the parentheses ( ),like this.

$$\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{e} : \nabla_{s} \mathbf{u}) = \frac{\partial }{\partial r_{i}} e_{iJ} \nabla_{Jk} u_{k} = \nabla_{i}e_{iJ} \nabla_{Jk}u_{k}$$

4.) Same issue here
$$\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{\phi}) = \nabla \cdot \mathbf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{\phi} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \frac{\partial }{\partial r_{i}} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r_{j}} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \phi_{ij} \color{red}{\textup{ or }} \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \phi_{ji} $$

5.) How to I choose the appropriate index in, what I mean ##u_{k}## or ##u_{i}##
$$
e_{ijk} u_{k,ji}
$$View attachment 297815
@Orodruin : If there a way to thank you by offering and serving you a good coffee, I would be pleased to do so to you. But we live far apart, so Thank you is all I can say at this moment.

I understand your suggestion on the recent book, but this is what I was given and for some reason, I have to stick to it for reference purposes.
Untitled6.png

Regarding the maths operation, my confusion in ## \nabla \cdot (\bf{c}^{E} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) ## is that shall I not take the double sum between ##\bf{c}^{E}## and ##\bf{u}## first, then take the divergence operator? I do not understand how it is written as ## \nabla \cdot (\bf{c}^{E} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) = \nabla_{iK} c_{KL}^{E} \nabla_{Lj}u_{j} ##

@Orodruin :
I understand the transpose operator appears in matrix operations, however, I have seen the transpose operation in a 3rd rank tensor in Wikipedia, as suggested by one of the moderators, @andrewkirk. What I am lacking how to represent them. Thanks for your clarification.

How to say ##d^{transpose}##, where ##d## is a third rank tensor.

Reference :

Untitled7.png

In that particular case the meaning may be subtextual as referring to a particular index reordering which, when represented in matrix form and using the single index for the symmetric two-index space, corresponds to the matrix transpose. I would certainly not call it standard nomenclature in tensor analysis.

Furthermore, I have always abhorred the non-indexed formulas such as the ones given in your book (as presented in the OP etc) as they many times are ambiguous in terms of what indices are actually contracted. Using index or abstract index notation serves a much clearer purpose.

Symbol ##\cdot## is familiar to show inner product of two vectors. I am afraid that this book use this symbol for contraction which higher rank tensors are involved. Say ##A^{ik}=b^ic^k##, is
[tex]\nabla \cdot A^{ik}[/tex]
[tex]=(\nabla \cdot c) b^{i}?[/tex]or
[tex]=(\nabla \cdot b) c^{k}?[/tex]
Writing surviving index and index for contraction prevent such a confusion. I expect in the beginning pages of the book, the definition of symbols ##\cdot## and : are explained.
I have not seen the symbol : before for such a double product or convention meaning.

anuttarasammyak said:
Symbol ##\cdot## is familiar to show inner product of two vectors. I am afraid that this book use this symbol for contraction which higher rank tensors are involved. Say ##A^{ik}=b^ic^k##, is
[tex]=(\nabla \cdot a) b^{k}?[/tex]or
[tex]=(\nabla \cdot b) c^{i}?[/tex]
Writing surviving index and index for contraction prevent such a confusion. I expect in the beginning pages of the book, the definition of symbols ##\cdot## and : are explained.
I have not seen the symbol : before for such a double product or convention meaning.
@anuttarasammyak Here is the notation for double dot in the book,

Untitled8.png

Likes anuttarasammyak
Thanks. So you know the definition of the symbols. Why don't you apply these definitions to your problem? Did you find a difficulty in doing it ?

[EDIT] I take ##\cdot## as contraction for the last or the rightest index and : as contraction for the last or the rightest pair indices.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]=(\nabla \cdot c) b^{i}?[/tex]or
[tex]=(\nabla \cdot b) c^{k}?[/tex]
Precisely my point in the second paragraph of #7 illustrated. The notation is horribly obscure and not generalisable to arbitrary tensors (it effectively only works when the only tensors involved are rank 1 and symmetric rank 2 tensors (and their linear relationships in terms of rank 2, 3, and 4 tensors).

Orodruin said:
In that particular case the meaning may be subtextual as referring to a particular index reordering which, when represented in matrix form and using the single index for the symmetric two-index space, corresponds to the matrix transpose. I would certainly not call it standard nomenclature in tensor analysis.

Furthermore, I have always abhorred the non-indexed formulas such as the ones given in your book (as presented in the OP etc) as they many times are ambiguous in terms of what indices are actually contracted. Using index or abstract index notation serves a much clearer purpose.
@Orodruin :
I have noticed that in the field of piezoelectricity, "they" denote like this, Here is another book,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540686800/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What is driving me crazy is this statement, from the end of this book

Acoustic Fields and Waves in Solids. Volume I Hardcover – April 20, 1973​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471037001/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I understand and agree to all you said in this thread, but not ##e_{iJ} = e_{Ji}## in page 378 of the book.
Untitled11.png

Untitled9.png
Untitled10.png

anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks. So you know the definition of the symbols. Why don't you apply these definitions to your problem? Did you find a difficulty in doing it ?
I applied the defintions, but could not find the reasonable notation, that is the problem.

Orodruin said:
Precisely my point in the second paragraph of #7 illustrated. The notation is horribly obscure and not generalisable to arbitrary tensors (it effectively only works when the only tensors involved are rank 1 and symmetric rank 2 tensors (and their linear relationships in terms of rank 2, 3, and 4 tensors).
@Orodruin : I was told this book is the Bible, and there is no mistake in it. Without complaining, which is easy to rant to anybody in the world, I took an introspective view and try to educate myself.

chowdhury said:
I applied the defintions, but could not find the reasonable notation, that is the problem.
Let me know for examination, how many ranks or indexes ##\nabla##, ##\nabla_s##, e and u have ?
Please write them down explicitly with indexes.

@Orodruin:
@anuttarasammyak:

I derived this quantity, following the book

$$ \bf{c^{eff}} = \bf{c^{E}} + e^{transpose} \cdot (\bf{(\epsilon^{S}})^{-1} \bf{e})$$

The notation my be incorrect, but the true nature is CORRECT in the above expression, then when I wanted to express in index notation, I get into trouble,

$$ c^{eff}_{IJ} = c^{E}_{IJ} + e^{transpose}_{iI} (\epsilon^{S}_{??})^{-1} e_{??})
$$

where I, J are expressed in the book and took a picture here. For ##\epsilon## I cannot used the same symbol, more than twice, so I am forcing the permittivity to be diagonal. What it means is that I cannot or should not (??) use materials whose permittivity has off diagonal elements?
Untitled12.png

anuttarasammyak said:
Let me know for examination, how many ranks or indexes ##\nabla##, ##\nabla_s##, e and u have ?
@anuttarasammyak : I will provide after the last #16 of mine. Thanks for being so patient.

chowdhury said:
@Orodruin :
I have noticed that in the field of piezoelectricity, "they" denote like this, Here is another book,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540686800/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What is driving me crazy is this statement, from the end of this book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471037001/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I understand and agree to all you said in this thread, but not ##e_{iJ} = e_{Ji}## in page 378 of the book.
View attachment 297825

View attachment 297823View attachment 297824
Those are matrix transposes, not tensor transposes.
chowdhury said:
@Orodruin : I was told this book is the Bible, and there is no mistake in it. Without complaining, which is easy to rant to anybody in the world, I took an introspective view and try to educate myself.
There is a difference between being a subject bible and being an authority on the general math tools used in the subject. Even if there are no errors this does not mean it is a good reference notationally. I could write a book on GR without using any indices or tensor methods at all. It would be correct but it would still be a horrible book.

chowdhury said:
The reasonable notation is the index or abstract index notations.

Likes robphy and chowdhury
anuttarasammyak said:
  • ## \nabla ## is the usual operator in maths
  • ##\nabla_s## is the symmetric part of the gradient operator, which results in strain of the material
  • ##e## is the piezoelectric coefficient and it is a third rank tensor
  • ##u## is a vector in space, so 3x1 vector.
FYI, I copy the definitions from the book, which is confusing, when I try to think in terms of maths,

Untitled16.png
Untitled15.png
Untitled14.png
Untitled13.png

chowdhury said:
  • ∇ is the usual operator in maths
  • ∇s is the symmetric part of the gradient operator, which results in strain of the material
  • e is the piezoelectric coefficient and it is a third rank tensor
  • u is a vector in space, so 3x1 vector.
So with indices [tex]\nabla_i, (\nabla_s)_i, e_{ijk}, u_i[/tex], right ? Did you use these notations in your trial ?

anuttarasammyak said:
So with indices [tex]\nabla_i, (\nabla_s)_i, e_{ijk}, u_i[/tex], right ? Did you use these notations in your trial ?
No, the way ##\nabla_s## is being used it is an object with two indices, one symmetric index (taking values from 1 through 6 (xx, yy, zz, xy, xz, yz)) and one regular index. It is a linear differential operator from the space of vectors to the space of symmetric tensors. Similarly, the way ##e## is being used, it has two indices one regular and one symmetric.

Of course, if you use standard notation and only use regular indices, ##e## and ##\nabla_s## would have three indices. The symmetries involved would be apparent from the relevant symmetries of these objects when exchanging indices.

• Informative
Likes chowdhury
I have no regard to physics of piezoelectricity but math formula. @chowdhury Do you apply ##(\nabla_s)_{ijk}## as Oroduin suggested ?

@anuttarasammyak : yes in most cases,

Query 1.)

here is what I try to follow
$$\nabla \cdot (\bf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \phi) = \nabla \cdot (\bf{e} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) $$
Now
$$\nabla_{i} \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \nabla_{j} \phi = \nabla_{i} \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \phi_{,j} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S}\nabla_{i} \phi_{,j} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S}\phi_{,ij}$$

I don't know how to full the full 3-index notation for e. It was immensely helpful by @Orodruin : With his insight, it turned out to be,

$$ \nabla \cdot (\bf{e} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) = \nabla_{i} e_{ijk} \nabla_{j} u_{k} = e_{ijk} u_{k, ji}$$

Hence
$$\epsilon_{ij}^{S}\phi_{,ij} = e_{ijk} u_{k, ji}$$

I do not understand what was the basis for the book to say symmetry condition for the e-coeficient in their index?
Untitled17.png

Query 2.)
$$ \bf{c^{eff}} = \bf{c^{E}} + e^{transpose} \cdot (\bf{(\epsilon^{S}})^{-1} \bf{e})$$

The notation my be incorrect, but the true nature is CORRECT in the above expression, then when I wanted to express in index notation, I get into trouble,

$$ c^{eff}_{IJ} = c^{E}_{IJ} + e^{transpose}_{iI} (\epsilon^{S}_{??})^{-1} e_{??})
$$

I cannot write in single index notation, meaning not combined capital I,J etc.

Query 3.) For this equation,

$$\nabla \cdot (\bf{c}^{E} : \nabla_{s}\bf{u}) -\rho \frac{\partial^2 \bf{u}}{\partial t^2} = - \nabla \cdot (\bf{e}^{transpose} \cdot \nabla \phi)$$

I derived
$$(c^{E}_{ijkl} u_{k,l})_{,j} - \rho u_{i,tt} = - (e^{transpose}_{ijk} \phi_{,k})_{,j} =- (\color{red}{e}_{kji} \phi_{,jk}) $$
But the book derived as in the picture above. There might be difference in the indices, I cannot reconcile between mine and the book.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I have no regard to physics of piezoelectricity but math formula. @chowdhury Do you apply ##(\nabla_s)_{ijk}## as Oroduin suggested ?
@anuttarasammyak : I am sorry, I am not clear how to proceed, better, I would seek @Orodruin as the Judge!

chowdhury said:
Summary:: Algebraic manipulation

How to write following equation in index notation?

∇⋅(e:∇su)
where e is a third rank tensor, u is a vector, ∇s is the symmetric part of the gradient operator, : is the double dot product.
Say ##\nabla_s## has rank one, it has rank zero,
[tex]\sum_{a,b,c}\nabla_c e_{cab} (\nabla_s)_au_b [/tex]
Say ##\nabla_s## has rank three , it has rank two,
[tex]\sum_{a,b,c}\nabla_c e_{iab} (\nabla_s)_{jca}u_b [/tex]
Are they OK?

anuttarasammyak said:
I understand up to this, I cannot say further below.

anuttarasammyak said:

Are they OK?

Physically how do you expect the rank of result, scalar zero or vector one or tensor two ?

anuttarasammyak said:
Physically how do you expect the rank of result, scalar zero or vector one or tensor two ?
In this particular equation, I expect the result to be of rank ZERO.

$$\nabla \cdot (\bf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \phi) = \nabla \cdot (\bf{e} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) = \textup{rank zero} $$

chowdhury said:
Notation by itself is not correct or incorrect (unless it really is incorrect). However, it may be more or less illuminating.

anuttarasammyak said:
Are they OK?
No. It has rank three but you are missing one contraction.

Orodruin said:
No. It has rank three but you are missing one contraction.
I thought for rank three ##\nabla_s## the number of all the indices are 1+3+3+1=8, the number of contraction of ##\cdot## and : are 3 so the number of surviving indices after contraction is 8 - 3*2 = 2 for which I wrote i,j. Further contraction of i and j makes the quantity scalar. I do not find the further contraction in the symbol definition.

chowdhury said:
@anuttarasammyak : yes in most cases,

Query 1.)

here is what I try to follow
$$\nabla \cdot (\bf{\epsilon}^{S} \cdot \nabla \phi) = \nabla \cdot (\bf{e} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) $$
Now
$$\nabla_{i} \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \nabla_{j} \phi = \nabla_{i} \epsilon_{ij}^{S} \phi_{,j} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S}\nabla_{i} \phi_{,j} = \epsilon_{ij}^{S}\phi_{,ij}$$

I don't know how to full the full 3-index notation for e. It was immensely helpful by @Orodruin : With his insight, it turned out to be,

$$ \nabla \cdot (\bf{e} : \nabla_{s} \bf{u}) = \nabla_{i} e_{ijk} \nabla_{j} u_{k} = e_{ijk} u_{k, ji}$$

Hence
$$\epsilon_{ij}^{S}\phi_{,ij} = e_{ijk} u_{k, ji}$$

I do not understand what was the basis for the book to say symmetry condition for the e-coeficient in their index?
View attachment 297832

Query 2.)

$$

I cannot write in single index notation, meaning not combined capital I,J etc.

Query 3.) For this equation,

$$\nabla \cdot (\bf{c}^{E} : \nabla_{s}\bf{u}) -\rho \frac{\partial^2 \bf{u}}{\partial t^2} = - \nabla \cdot (\bf{e}^{transpose} \cdot \nabla \phi)$$

I derived
$$(c^{E}_{ijkl} u_{k,l})_{,j} - \rho u_{i,tt} = - (e^{transpose}_{ijk} \phi_{,k})_{,j} =- (\color{red}{e}_{kji} \phi_{,jk}) $$
But the book derived as in the picture above. There might be difference in the indices, I cannot reconcile between mine and the book.
Does anybody know how to derivemy above three queries? Thanks.
Untitled17.png

What is a gradient of higher rank tensor?

A gradient of higher rank tensor is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to describe the rate of change of a tensor field. It is a generalization of the gradient of a scalar field, which represents the rate of change of a single variable.

How is the gradient of higher rank tensor calculated?

The gradient of a higher rank tensor is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the tensor field with respect to each of its variables. The result is a new tensor field of one rank higher, with each component representing the rate of change of the original tensor field in a specific direction.

What is the physical interpretation of the gradient of higher rank tensor?

The physical interpretation of the gradient of higher rank tensor is similar to that of the gradient of a scalar field. It represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of the tensor field. In other words, it shows the direction in which the tensor field changes the most rapidly.

What are some real-world applications of the gradient of higher rank tensor?

The gradient of higher rank tensor has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to describe the flow of fluids, the deformation of materials, and the distribution of electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics to enhance and manipulate images.

Are there any limitations to using the gradient of higher rank tensor?

One limitation of using the gradient of higher rank tensor is that it is only defined for continuous tensor fields. It cannot be applied to discontinuous or singular tensor fields. Additionally, the calculation of the gradient can become computationally expensive for higher rank tensors, making it difficult to apply in certain situations.