1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is Second rank tensor always tensor product of two vectors?

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2017 #1
    Suppose a second rank tensor ##T_{ij}## is given. Can we always express it as the tensor product of two vectors, i.e., ##T_{ij}=A_{i}B_{j}## ? If so, then I have a few more questions:
    1. Are those two vectors ##A_i## and ##B_j## unique?
    2. How to find out ##A_i## and ##B_j##
    3. As ##A_i## and ##B_j## has ##3+3 = 6## components in total (say, in 3-dimension), it turns out that we need only ##6## quantities to represent the ##9## components of the tensor ##T_{ij}##. Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

No, it is a sum of such products.
    No. Even for dyadics ##A_i \otimes B_j## you always have ##A_i \otimes B_j = c \cdot A_i \otimes \frac{1}{c}B_j## for any scalar ##c \neq 0##.
    ##T_{ij}## is basically any matrix and ##A_i \otimes B_j## a matrix of rank ##1##. So write your matrix as a sum of rank-##1## matrices and you have a presentation.
    No. See the rank explanation above.

4. Apr 8, 2017 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

To add to Fresh's answer: this last remark already should make you suspicious. An arbitrary (!) second-rank tensor in three dimensions has 3*3=9 components, but two vectors have 2*3=6 components. What you can do, is to decompose a second rank tensor like [itex]T_{ij}[/itex] as

$$T_{ij} = T_{[ij]} + T_{(ij)} $$

where [ij] stands for antisymmetrization, whereas (ij) stands for symmetrization. Both parts transform independently under coordinate transfo's. The antisymmetric part has 3 independent components, whereas the symmetric part has 6 components. You can even go further in this decomposition, because the trace of the tensor components also does not change under a coordinate transformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted