Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Programs (applied math) for Non-Math Majors

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    A little over a year ago I graduated from a state school (Western Michigan University) with a double major in Film and Archeology. I have always liked math but was more focused on film. This summer I started studying math on my own and placed into a pre calculus class at a city college. I am doing very well in this class and would like to continue studying math. Next semester I will be taking calc 1 and I was asked to TA for a college algebra class at the city college. All this semester I have been a tutor for algebra students. I am wondering what plan of action I should take to get accepted into an applied math masters program. I am not too keen on getting a second bachelor’s degree, but I would if that was a deal breaker. Are there any sort of “bridge programs" to get student’s ready for grad school in an unrelated major or should I just tough out a second degree?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    at calc 1 you're still a long way from enough coursework to be a math grad student. take the necessary classes, the gre subject and quantitative and apply. someone will take you.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Math I needed for my physics degree:

Calc 1-3 (limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences, and series)
    Multivariable calculus
    Linear Algebra (similar to the algebra you did, but not the same, although you could handle it at this point)
    Differential equations

And then I picked up a lot of math along the way in various physics classes, like learning complex analysis, Fourier tranforms/series, crap, I don't even remember all of it now.

And you'll need a few more for a math degree. So you've got a long way to go. ;)

Just keep at it. I took most of that math at community college before transferring to a university. You could also ask the math professors at your college what they did and what you should do.

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help. It looks like it's time for another degree. Hopefully I won't have to retake all my gen-eds.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook