Graduate Programs (applied math) for Non-Math Majors

• Programs
  • Thread starter fadeout
  • Start date
A little over a year ago I graduated from a state school (Western Michigan University) with a double major in Film and Archeology. I have always liked math but was more focused on film. This summer I started studying math on my own and placed into a pre calculus class at a city college. I am doing very well in this class and would like to continue studying math. Next semester I will be taking calc 1 and I was asked to TA for a college algebra class at the city college. All this semester I have been a tutor for algebra students. I am wondering what plan of action I should take to get accepted into an applied math masters program. I am not too keen on getting a second bachelor’s degree, but I would if that was a deal breaker. Are there any sort of “bridge programs" to get student’s ready for grad school in an unrelated major or should I just tough out a second degree?

Answers and Replies

at calc 1 you're still a long way from enough coursework to be a math grad student. take the necessary classes, the gre subject and quantitative and apply. someone will take you.

WarPhalange
Math I needed for my physics degree:

Calc 1-3 (limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences, and series)
Multivariable calculus
Linear Algebra (similar to the algebra you did, but not the same, although you could handle it at this point)
Differential equations

And then I picked up a lot of math along the way in various physics classes, like learning complex analysis, Fourier tranforms/series, crap, I don't even remember all of it now.

And you'll need a few more for a math degree. So you've got a long way to go. ;)

Just keep at it. I took most of that math at community college before transferring to a university. You could also ask the math professors at your college what they did and what you should do.

Thanks for the help. It looks like it's time for another degree. Hopefully I won't have to retake all my gen-eds.