Graduate programs in Field Theory (PhD)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on applying for physics graduate programs, specifically in the PhD level. They are interested in theoretical QFT and QED, and prefer a supervisor with a rigorous approach to physical problems. They are unsure of which universities to apply to and are open to suggestions and comments. It is suggested that they look up programs in which papers of interest were published for guidance.
Phylosopher
Hello everyone,Upon my comment on the insight "Applying for Physics Graduate School - Comments", Mr. Bill (bhobba) suggested that I need to write an individual post regarding my inquiry.

I am looking for physics graduate programs (PhD). My senior project/thesis was on classical field theory and the subject really touched me, I am not sure what branch of physics I should do my graduate studies on, but I am leaning toward theoretical QFT and QED based on my previous experience.
I would appreciate a supervisor with a rigorous approach to the physical problems (Not mathematical physics)There are a lot of universities out there, and I am not sure where to apply to. I would appreciate your suggestions and comments regarding the matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description is a little bit vague... your best bet might be to find papers that you are interested in, and look up the programs in which they were published.

Likes Phylosopher

1. What is Field Theory?

Field Theory is a branch of physics that studies the interactions and properties of fields, which are physical quantities that exist in space and time. These fields can include electromagnetic fields, gravitational fields, and quantum fields.

2. What can I do with a PhD in Field Theory?

A PhD in Field Theory can open up a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Some common career paths include research scientists, professors, and data analysts in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Field Theory?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Field Theory can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. The specific timeline may also depend on the individual's research progress and program requirements.

4. What are the admission requirements for a PhD program in Field Theory?

Admission requirements for a PhD program in Field Theory may vary between universities, but most programs will require applicants to have a strong background in physics and mathematics. This may include a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of Field Theory during my PhD program?

Yes, many PhD programs in Field Theory allow students to specialize in a specific area of interest, such as particle physics, cosmology, or condensed matter physics. It is important to research the program's faculty and curriculum to ensure they align with your research interests.