1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Applying for Physics Graduate School - Comments

1. May 14, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2
    New grad students will be starting up in fall. Do you have any questions for @ZapperZ?

4. May 17, 2015 #3

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just want to mention this is the situation in the US.

Here in Australia if you want to go to graduate school you do an Honours year that prepares you for research.

The other way is you bypass the Honours year and do a Masters with a significant research component - its probably a better preparation, but generally takes a semester longer. The other advantage is you generally need a first or high second class Honours degree, but with a Masters that's not required - although you generally need to have done well.

Because admission is based on an advanced degree this GRE thing isn't needed.

Thanks
    Bill

5. May 17, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just as a clarification, in the Introduction part of the series, I explicitly stated that the guide was written for the US educational system. While some of the content may be applicable to other parts of the world, it is almost impossible to write one series that will apply to every single person here on Earth. So that is why the guide makes no pretense to be that.

Zz.

6. May 21, 2015 #5
    "3. Unless you have a 4.0 GPA, have outstanding letters of recommendation, and the son of the President of the United States..."
    You may believe that you've kidnapped the president's son, but I think he only has two daughters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted