Graduate school admissions and extenuating circumstances

In summary, the individual was diagnosed with moderate/severe ADD as a child but did not receive medication due to health concerns and the belief that it could be overcome with willpower. They initially struggled academically in college, majoring in nuclear engineering, and experienced frustration and distractions during study sessions. After deciding to go on medication during their third year, they switched majors to applied physics and computer science and saw a significant improvement in their academic performance. They are now planning on applying to PhD programs in nuclear engineering/engineering physics and are wondering how admissions committees will view their case and if it would be beneficial to disclose their condition. The advice given is to offer an explanation for the change in academic record, as honesty is always the best policy.
Bakiyev
I was diagnosed with moderate/severe ADD when I was a child but due to health concerns my parents chose not to put me on medication. They also erroneously believed that ADD was something that could be overcome with willpower, something I learned is not true.

I attended the University of Michigan out of high school and I did fairly poorly the first few years, where I majored in nuclear engineering. My major gpa was a 2.6 with a downward trend during this time and I grew extremely frustrated with myself - I put so much time into my study yet I was not seeing the results I knew I was capable of academically. Every day during my study sessions I would spent 80% of my time spaced out, playing with my hair, scratching my hands, or just blankly staring at the pages of my textbooks. The condition took its toll on other areas of life as well but academics was central. High school was easy due to the lack of rigor but university was anything but. As my responsibilities, expectations, and workload became more demanding my issues became obvious.

I decided to finally go on medication the summer after my third year. It helped tremendously and the aforementioned problems were significantly relieved. I knew I would never be able to make a positive impression on admissions committees in such a short time (one year to graduation at the time) so I switched my major to applied physics and computer science and racked up a gpa of 3.91 over the next few years and did a couple summer REUs. I scored very well on the GRE and I am planning on applying to different PhD programs in nuclear engineering/engineering physics next year. Having gotten a taste for research I would love the chance to make it a career.

My question is - how will admissions committees view my case? I know I am capable of doing graduate level work and I really, really want to be able to go to a strong program. Would it be prudent to disclose my condition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any time that there is a dramatic change in your academic record you should offer explanation. Just be aware that some admission committees won't care, some will consider you a liability, but it is always better to be honest. Without explanation, most quality programs will toss you on the first round so you have nothing to lose.

1. What are considered extenuating circumstances for graduate school admissions?

Extenuating circumstances are unexpected and unavoidable events that may have had a significant impact on your academic performance or abilities, such as a serious illness or family emergency. These circumstances should be documented and explained in your application.

2. How should I address extenuating circumstances in my graduate school application?

You should address extenuating circumstances in your personal statement or in a separate statement specifically dedicated to explaining the situation. Be honest, concise, and provide any relevant documentation to support your explanation.

3. Will extenuating circumstances affect my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

It depends on the specific circumstances and how you address them in your application. Admissions committees understand that life happens and they will take extenuating circumstances into consideration, but ultimately your academic qualifications and potential for success in the program will also be evaluated.

4. Is it necessary to provide proof of my extenuating circumstances?

Yes, it is important to provide proof of your extenuating circumstances, such as a doctor's note, death certificate, or other official documentation. This helps to validate your explanation and shows that you are being transparent and honest.

5. Can I still be accepted into graduate school if I have extenuating circumstances?

Yes, having extenuating circumstances does not automatically disqualify you from being accepted into graduate school. As long as you meet the academic requirements and have a strong application, your extenuating circumstances should not hinder your chances of being accepted.