Graduate school failed to respond to my application on time

In summary, the French school said they would get back to me by the 31st but didn't, and I was accepted anyway.
Jarfi
I applied to a fairly prestigious engineering school in france, taught in english. I was taken for an interview 2 weeks ago and it was very casual, didnt go great nor badly. I was told I'd receive a response to my application by the "end of next week", problem is that was last friday, and I still haven't received anything.

I'm pulling my hair here, why would they do this, is it because there is Easter break in France so they just went on vacay? according to their website I should've gotten a response, i.e refusal or acceptance by 31st March.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
I applied to a fairly prestigious engineering school in france, taught in english. I was taken for an interview 2 weeks ago and it was very casual, didnt go great nor badly. I was told I'd receive a response to my application by the "end of next week", problem is that was last friday, and I still haven't received anything.

I'm pulling my hair here, why would they do this, is it because there is Easter break in France so they just went on vacay? according to their website I should've gotten a response, i.e refusal or acceptance by 31st March.

Stop pulling your hair, give them 1 more week, and then write to the contact person or e-mail address or phone number that you were given.

Zz.

+1

If they posted it by snail mail it might take awhile to get to Iceland.

CWatters said:
+1

If they posted it by snail mail it might take awhile to get to Iceland.
They said the answer(refusal, acceptance or waiting list) would be E-mailed to me "by 31st". I'm assuming they were just behind schedule, It's not "known" in my own country that official institutions are behind due dates, but France might be different, I am not sure about their bureaucracy customs.

Jarfi said:
They said the answer(refusal, acceptance or waiting list) would be E-mailed to me "by 31st". I'm assuming they were just behind schedule, It's not "known" in my own country that official institutions are behind due dates, but France might be different, I am not sure about their bureaucracy customs.

Given what I know about France (I used to work for a company with an office in France), my suspicion is that they are indeed behind the due dates, especially given the fact that this is the Easter weekend, that Easter Monday is a statutory holiday in France (as it is across continental Europe -- perhaps it's different in Iceland?), and the fact that many people in continental European countries have very generous vacation schedules.

Likes Jarfi
Given that they specifically told you they'd get back to you by the 31st and that date has gone by, you're perfectly justified in contacting them to inquire about your application status, but I concur with the above. Give it a few more days. Its easy to get behind schedule on things like this. It doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

And try to do something that will take your mind off of it. I know how hard it can be waiting for results to come in.

UPDATE: Seems I was admitted! You were right, it was the holiday, just got the results this morning

Likes StatGuy2000, Galois314, berkeman and 4 others

1. Why is it important to follow up on graduate school applications?

It is important to follow up on graduate school applications because it shows your interest and dedication to the program. It also allows you to inquire about the status of your application and potentially receive updates or additional information.

2. What are some possible reasons for the delay in response from graduate schools?

Some possible reasons for the delay in response from graduate schools could be a high volume of applications, technical issues, or a change in the application review timeline. Additionally, some schools may prioritize certain programs or applicants over others.

3. How long should I wait before following up on my graduate school application?

It is generally recommended to wait at least 2-3 weeks before following up on your graduate school application. This allows enough time for the school to review your application and make a decision. However, if the application deadline has passed, it is appropriate to follow up sooner.

4. What is the best way to follow up on a graduate school application?

The best way to follow up on a graduate school application is through email. Make sure to address the email to the appropriate person or department and be polite and professional in your tone. You can also consider following up with a phone call if you do not receive a response to your email.

5. What should I do if I still do not receive a response from the graduate school?

If you still do not receive a response from the graduate school after following up, you may want to consider reaching out to a different contact at the school, such as an admissions counselor or department coordinator. You can also consider contacting the school's admissions office for further assistance.