1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School: "I want to do it all"

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    Choosing between engineering, physics and math is a choice I have been putting off for a long time. I am in my undergrad under engineering physics trying to do it all still by taking 6 courses a semester so that I can still fit in things like real analysis and topology, as well as quantum, EM, and then your typical engineering fare: such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, etc.

As my time until graduate school shrinks I realize I need to start making some decisions. What I'm wondering is, are there are graduate programs in engineering (or other) where you could focus exclusively on mathematical methods? I've also been interested in nuclear engineering in the past, though I have it in my head that it's possible to study functional analysis in a nuclear engineering program, where might I have read that? Is it true?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2
    Mind you I am not an expert. You could go into a aerospace or mechanical grad school to study computational fluid dynamics which can be math heavy. Or you could even go into some EE grad schools and study plasma's which could have a large mathematical and physics portion to it. Look into those. There are many other routes that are even more mathematical like control theory, but as far as i know that is a bit more removed from the physics aspect;

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    I would go with EE. I did my undergraduate in math and I am finishing a MS in mechanical in the control theory area. The control courses in ME are easier than the ones in EE. From this experience, I am applying to PhD programs in EE. In EE, you get to use analysis both real and complex and probability theory beside the normal differetntial equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook