1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School in Europe: Pros and Cons

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    Currently I'm a junior math and physics major from the US expecting to graduate May 2015 with a bs in math and ms in physics after 4 years. I'm spending a semester abroad in Australia this semester and I'm realizing I would like to try spending a few years in Europe, preferably around Scandinavia.

I'm planning on doing my PhD in quantum information theory or theoretical particle physics/string theory, but after graduate school I'm not necessarily set on going into academia, but I don't exactly know what other jobs I can get with a PhD in these fields, let alone if I get a PhD from a European institution. I'm not 100% set on staying in physics either, it's ideal but I wouldn't mind getting a job in another field.

I do want to keep my options of working in America open as well, from what I understand if I get my PhD in Europe, unless I go to Oxford or Cambridge my degree can mean less than if I get it from an American institution? If that's the case then I could see myself going for a post-doctoral position in Europe instead if that's feasible, but putting off living there for 4-6 years doesn't seem too ideal for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to get a job for a few years of my life then find out that when I get back to America it amounts to very little on my resume/CV. Will it hurt my job search if I decide to leave physics as much as if I decide to stay in physics?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

There are many reputable universities in Europe outside of Oxford and Cambridge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook