Graduate School in German-speaking Country

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of studying for a masters or equivalent degree in physics in a German-speaking country. The individual was interested in learning the language and becoming fluent in German, and was considering studying the language before entering classes. They asked for advice on the competitiveness of admissions and student life in Germany, and also mentioned the option of getting a PhD in the USA or another country after obtaining their masters degree in Germany. The conversation also included recommendations for the University of Munich and University of Zurich for physics, as well as tips for learning the German language. Additionally, the conversation touched on the topic of obtaining a German university's recognition of a US degree and the potential for a more laid back education system in Germany. The conversation concluded with
Jelfish
Hi everyone:

I've been really thinking about going to get my masters (or equivalent) in physics in a German speaking country. I say this because I am really fascinated by German culture and wish to go there to become fluent in the language anyway. I was thinking that perhaps I would study German there for a little while before entering classes.

So I've never actually been to Germany (or any other German-speaking country). I'm currently learning the language. As far as graduate school is concerned, I hear University of Munich and University of Zurich are good for physics. I don't know what admissions is like though.

The idea I have right now is to get my masters in another country, and if I feel inclined, get my phd in the USA or somewhere.

My question is: Are there any strong reasons why I should not do this? And for those who are knowledgeable - what is student life like in, say Germany? How competitive is it to enter a Master's program?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if more info is needed for reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those germans are smart people. I would expect nothing less than a first rate education.

From what I've seen and read, a good German masters thesis contains work of PhD quality.

Also, most I've seen are written in English - containing only an abstract in German - so your English will have to be up to scratch too.

I am interested in doing exactly the same, though I am just entering college. My school has a German Engineering program whereby students can work for a German engineering company (here or, preferably, in Germany). I highly reccomend, if at all possible, going to Germany before committing to study there. Get in contact with the http://www.goethe.de/enindex.htm", who will gladly help you navigate the process of applying to study in Germany, and perhaps more importantly, offer you language courses.

As far as learning the language goes: Try to find (preferably native) speakers to practice with. Listen to German music (Kraftwerk, Rammstein, Neu!, Die Fantastischen Vier, etc.)! One excellent resource is http://www.dw-world.de/" , which provides plenty of lessons and slowly spoken material to help you get to the point where you understand mainstream German language broadcasts.

I am currently trying to figure out how difficult it is to get a German university to recognize a U.S. degree. If you find anything out, please pass it on. My mother (who works for the Belgian Embassy) has commented that the educational systems are becoming more interoperable every day.

Viel Erfolg!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies!

I hope my English is up to par, though 4 years at a tech school and without much (quality) writing required, I may need to brush up.

I know my university has an exchange program with the University of Zurich, and though that's in Switzerland, I hope German recognition won't be a problem. I'll ask about that though. I know some professors who were German trained who might know.

I've been on search for people from Germany to speak with, though I've been kind of holding off until I feel a little more comfortable at conversation. I'm slowly getting into German music. I listen to Deutsche Welle's slowly spoken German news, but my German isn't quite good enough yet to understand it fully.

A German student I met yesterday also told me that the majority of physics classes in Germany (as well as the theses) are in English, which I found slightly disappointing since I was looking forward to the challenge.

In regard to the Goethe Institute, I do plan on studying the language for a while before entering classes. I want to take a little break from heavy studying and research to absorb the culture. From what I've read and heard, the higher education system in Germany tends to be a bit more laid back and students take a lot more time to finish their degree (because it's free?). I think that will be a welcomed change to my lock-myself-in-room-and-work routine.

Thanks again.

Is it straight physics you want to do?

If you want some applied maths, all the people I've worked with from the Weierstrauss (http://www.wias-berlin.de/) are very well schooled.

Funny one should wonder about studying Germany. The German State of Hessen has a special advertisement on Scientific American's website this month - http://www.sciam.com/hessen/ . There are numerous pages from various universities.

I have been to Germany several times and I have always enjoyed it. Germany and Japan are two of my favorite countries to visit.

And Germany has many excellent universities. :smile: :cool:

1. What are the requirements for admission to a graduate school in a German-speaking country?

The specific requirements for admission to a graduate school in a German-speaking country may vary depending on the institution and program. Generally, applicants must hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related field and demonstrate proficiency in the German language. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. Is it necessary to speak German fluently to attend a graduate school in a German-speaking country?

While some graduate programs in German-speaking countries may offer courses taught in English, most require a certain level of proficiency in the German language. This is because many programs involve research and coursework that is conducted in German, and fluency in the language is essential for academic success. Some schools may also offer language courses for non-native speakers to help them reach the required level of proficiency.

3. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in a German-speaking country?

The length of a graduate degree program in a German-speaking country varies depending on the program and the individual student's pace. Generally, a master's degree takes 2-4 semesters (1-2 years) to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 3-5 years. However, some programs may have longer or shorter durations, so it is important to research the specific program you are interested in.

4. Are there scholarships available for international students at graduate schools in German-speaking countries?

Yes, there are various scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students at graduate schools in German-speaking countries. These may be offered by the schools themselves, the government, or external organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they can be competitive.

5. How does the cost of attending a graduate school in a German-speaking country compare to other countries?

The cost of attending a graduate school in a German-speaking country may vary depending on the institution and program. Generally, tuition fees in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland are significantly lower than in other countries. Additionally, living expenses may also be lower in these countries compared to other popular study destinations. However, it is always important to consider the specific program and location when comparing the cost of attending graduate school in different countries.