Graduate School Mathematics Preperation

In summary, the speaker is finishing their undergraduate physics program and considering graduate studies in theoretical physics, but is concerned about their weak mathematics background. They are looking for suggestions on mathematical topics to study during a break, and the suggested references include Mary Boas' book for beginning-mid undergrad level, Hassani's and Stone and Goldbart's books for advanced undergrad/beginning grad level, and Nakahara's book for advanced grad/research level. The speaker expresses gratitude for the responses.
JordanGo
Here is my situation:
I am currently finishing my undergraduate physics program and thinking of doing graduate studies. My only concern is that the knowledge of mathematics is fairly weak. My program offers little mathematics, its very general physica. I am interested in doing theoretical physics in the domain of cosmology, quantum mechanics or particle physics (something to that effect). As I am aware, these subjects are heavily based on mathematics.
Here is my question:
I have a good long break coming up and was hoping to get some studying done. Can someone give me a list of mathematical topics/applications I may want to study to enhance my skills in the mathematical side of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you've already studied. I'll give you reference(s) that covers the material at each level and then you can look at each and fill up the gaps in your knowledge according to that:

Beginning-mid undergrad level:

I would say after the first two or three years of undergrad, most people should be familiar with the topics found in Mary Boas' book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I haven't read the book myself but it seems like a decent book that covers material beyond calculus.

Advanced undergrad/beginning grad:

Two excellent references are Hassani's "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to its Foundations" and Stone and Goldbart's "Mathematics for Physics: A guided tour for graduate students".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387985794/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521854032/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The first one has a pretty good exposition of each topic and is mathematically precise. It states, defines and sometimes proves things clearly. The latter is a somewhat more "down-and-dirty" approach. It can be a bit mathematically sloppy at times but the challenging problems in every chapter (only 10-15 of them, so quality over quantity) make up for it.

Advanced grad/research level:

Nakahara's "Geometry, Topology and Physics". Haven't read a lot of this, but it looks like a good overview of differential geometry, algebraic topology, complex manifolds etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are great suggestions! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for your awesome replies!

JordanGo said:
These are great suggestions! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for your awesome replies!

The book Hercuflea posted is geared towards people who want to graduate school in math, so I wouldn't necessarily start with that. Of course, it's all stuff you're going to have to learn at some point or the other if you want to do theory, but right now you should be learning the topics found in the books I posted.

1. What is the purpose of graduate school mathematics preparation?

Graduate school mathematics preparation is essential for students who wish to pursue advanced degrees in mathematics or related fields. It is designed to strengthen students' mathematical foundations, enhance their problem-solving skills, and prepare them for the rigorous coursework and research in graduate school.

2. What topics are typically covered in graduate school mathematics preparation?

The topics covered in graduate school mathematics preparation vary depending on the program and the student's background. However, some common topics include advanced calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, real analysis, and complex analysis. Some programs may also cover topics in topology, differential equations, and numerical analysis.

3. Is graduate school mathematics preparation necessary for all students?

No, graduate school mathematics preparation is not necessary for all students. It is typically recommended for students who do not have a strong mathematical background or who have been out of school for a while. However, students with a strong foundation in mathematics may also benefit from the review and advanced topics covered in these programs.

4. How can I prepare for graduate school mathematics?

There are several ways to prepare for graduate school mathematics. Some students may choose to take advanced math courses during their undergraduate studies, while others may opt for online courses or self-study programs. It is also helpful to practice solving challenging math problems and to seek guidance from professors or tutors.

5. Will graduate school mathematics preparation guarantee success in graduate school?

While graduate school mathematics preparation can greatly enhance a student's mathematical skills and knowledge, it does not guarantee success in graduate school. Success in graduate school also depends on factors such as hard work, dedication, and effective time management. However, graduate school mathematics preparation can provide a strong foundation that can make the transition to graduate school smoother and increase the chances of success.