Graduate school options outside of physics.

In summary, the individual is a senior undergraduate physics major who does not enjoy physics and is considering other fields for graduate school. They mention being interested in math, education, and computer science and are looking for graduate programs that would accept a physics major without requiring them to retake many classes. They are also open to adding a minor or second major in computer science and considering graduate programs in statistics, economics, operations research/industrial engineering, and professional programs like medicine or law. Additionally, they are interested in applied mathematics and numerical analysis as potential graduate fields.
Florida136
I am a senior undergraduate physics major but I am not sure I want to go to graduate school for physics. I do not actually enjoy physics. I find it do-able but I started realizing junior year that I definitely don't love it. I have had a subscription to physics today for three years and never read a single article. I don't study much and try to avoid actually working on physics as much as possible but I still make good grades though I am not the top of my class.

I am a transfer student at a high ranked state university but a part of my transfer requirements I am not allowed to change my major. So I plan to graduate with my B.S. in Physics with a minor in math.

I would like to continue my education in a different field but I am not sure what my options are as far as applying to graduate schools outside of physics and engineering.

I am interested in math, education, and computer science. I enjoy working with numbers and data.

What graduate programs would accept a physics major without me having to retake a ton of classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
You stated that a part of your transfer requirements is that you cannot change your major. Is it possible for you to add an additional major or a minor? You had stated that you are interested in computer science, in which case adding a CS double major or a CS minor could open up possibilities of graduate programs in that field.

Another option, since you had stated you enjoy working with data, is to pursue graduate programs in statistics. Having a strong quantitative degree like physics and math, along with programming skills, will give you a good foundation to be prepared for graduate statistics programs (I would also encourage you to add statistics courses available at your school if you haven't taken any).

Other graduate programs you could consider include the following:

(1) Economics. I have been told that many economics graduate programs often welcome physics grads.

(2) Operations research/industrial engineering

(3) Professional programs like medicine or law (if you're interested in either such areas; both law schools and medical schools have thought highly of physics grads).

To add to what StatGuy2000 has said, you stated you enjoy computer, numbers and data. Of course computer science is one way to go. Have you considered going into Applied Mathematics, particularly Numerical Analysis? Applied Maths is quite a broad field, including things like computational science. Here are some websites to read up about it:
http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking.php
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_analysis#Areas_of_study
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_science

1. What are some graduate school options outside of physics?

Some graduate school options outside of physics include fields such as engineering, computer science, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and environmental science.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in a field unrelated to my undergraduate degree in physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in a field unrelated to your undergraduate degree in physics. However, it may require taking additional courses or completing prerequisites to gain necessary background knowledge.

3. Are there any advantages to pursuing a graduate degree outside of physics?

Yes, there are several advantages to pursuing a graduate degree outside of physics. It can broaden your skill set and make you more versatile in the job market. It can also provide opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration.

4. How do I decide which graduate program is right for me?

When deciding on a graduate program outside of physics, it is important to consider your career goals, interests, and strengths. Research different programs and their curriculum, faculty, and research opportunities. Reach out to current students or alumni for their perspectives.

5. What are some resources for finding graduate school options outside of physics?

Some resources for finding graduate school options outside of physics include attending graduate school fairs, browsing university websites, and utilizing online search engines such as GradSchools.com and Peterson's. Additionally, speaking with advisors, professors, and professionals in your field of interest can provide valuable insights and recommendations.