Graduate student in need of a mentor

In summary, the speaker is seeking a more productive working relationship with their advisor and is looking for a place to get general help in experimental HEP physics. They often have questions at night and need resources to solve problems. They feel they are not in a conducive atmosphere and struggle to get timely advice from their colleagues who are located around the world. They are specifically looking for help from someone who is or was a part of the ATLAS experiment.
Jrs580
Summary:: I have an advisor, but the working relationship is short of being productive.

I am searching for a place to go for general help, my field is experimental HEP physics. The things I need help span from random physics questions that I think about at night to pointing me in the right direction to find resources that will help me solve a problem. I want to become a well rounded researcher and do not feel like I am in a conducive atmosphere currently. Often times I get "stuck" and since my other colleagues are around the world (I work on the ATLAS experiment) at CERN, it takes almost a day to get small tidbits of advice.

If there is anyone here that is/and or was a part of ATLAS I could sure use the extra help! Let me know if you think this forum suits my needs.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The usual place for random quick questions would be colleagues in the same group. A bit more complicated in a pandemic but with increasing vaccination rates things return to normal slowly.

Likes Orodruin

What is a mentor and why do graduate students need one?

A mentor is an experienced and knowledgeable individual who provides guidance, support, and advice to a less experienced person. Graduate students need mentors to help them navigate their academic and professional journey, provide valuable insights and advice, and offer support and encouragement.

How do I find a mentor?

There are several ways to find a mentor as a graduate student. You can reach out to your professors, colleagues, or other professionals in your field who you admire and ask if they would be willing to mentor you. You can also join professional organizations or attend conferences to network and find potential mentors. Additionally, many universities have mentorship programs specifically for graduate students.

What qualities should I look for in a mentor?

When looking for a mentor, it is important to find someone who has experience and expertise in your field of study or career path. They should also be approachable, supportive, and willing to share their knowledge and insights with you. It is also helpful to find a mentor who has similar values and goals as you.

How often should I meet with my mentor?

The frequency of meetings with your mentor will depend on your individual needs and schedules. However, it is recommended to meet with your mentor at least once a month to discuss your progress, challenges, and goals. You can also schedule additional meetings as needed.

What should I expect from a mentor-mentee relationship?

A mentor-mentee relationship is a two-way street. You should expect your mentor to provide guidance, support, and advice, but you also have a responsibility to actively listen, ask questions, and follow through with their suggestions. It is important to communicate openly and honestly with your mentor and be willing to learn and grow from their mentorship.