Graduated, have PhD from October. What to do now?

• Other
  • Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the author recommends spending the summer doing research in quantum field theory, reading books on the subject, and refreshing their knowledge about basic mechanics. They also recommend taking a vacation to clear their mind and energy.
CAF123
Gold Member
I've just graduated with a Masters and am starting my PhD in September in LHC collider phenomenology (in another institute). My Masters consisted of a final year dissertation and introductory to more advanced courses in quantum field theory, statistical physics and symmetries of space time. Usually I would spend the summer doing research with a supervisor but I have now graduated from my uni so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the best and most productive way to spend the summer? Here are a few of my ideas and any comments would be valued:
1) Go through some more books on QFT/advanced QFT and read through the subject and do the problems from a different author/outlook just to deepen my knowledge of the subject, more practice etc... (i.e the latter half of Peskin and Schroder or something). Any suggestions of better books would also be appreciated.

2) Since my PhD project is in the field of perturbative QCD, I was thinking of finding a good book introducing the foundations of this subject which would still be accessible to someone having just done two semesters of quantum field theory (one semester, the canonical formalism, the second semester, the path integral approach)

3) Since a PhD can involve teaching duties, I also thought about refreshing my knowledge about some of the most basic things that perhaps I may have lost touch with - e.g go through an advanced mechanics text, em, qm etc.. just so I am on top of my game with this stuff when it comes to potentially tutoring it at UG level. I would probably do this in addition to 1) or 2) rather than exclusively.

4) Contact the institute where I will do my PhD and ask them - I thought about this but then again I didn't want to come across as too enthusiastic/nerdy etc.. maybe I am just overthinking but thought I'd ask what your opinions are here first.

Thanks for recommending any of the above or any other ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a nice vacation somewhere to clear your mind and refresh your energy because you'll be needing it soon.

Heck, all of these are really sound ideas, except 4), which is not intrinsically a bad idea, but probably would be more of a hassle than it's worth.

What job opportunities are available for someone with a PhD?

As a PhD graduate, you will have several options for employment, including academia, industry, and government. In academia, you can pursue a career as a professor or researcher at a university. In industry, you can work for companies in fields related to your area of expertise. And in government, you can work for agencies that conduct research or provide scientific advice.

Should I do a postdoctoral fellowship?

A postdoctoral fellowship is a common option for PhD graduates who want to continue their research and gain more experience before pursuing a permanent position. It can also be a good opportunity to network and build your expertise in a specific area. However, it is not necessary for all career paths, so you should carefully consider your goals before deciding to do a postdoc.

How can I make the most of my PhD degree?

To make the most of your PhD degree, you should continue to build your skills and expertise, network with other scientists, and publish your research. You can also seek out opportunities to collaborate with other researchers and attend conferences to share your work and learn about new developments in your field. Additionally, consider pursuing leadership roles or teaching opportunities to further develop your skills.

What are the challenges of transitioning from a PhD student to a professional scientist?

Transitioning from a PhD student to a professional scientist can be challenging, as it often involves adjusting to a new work environment and expectations. You may also face challenges in securing funding for your research or balancing multiple projects. However, with strong time management skills, a clear career plan, and a supportive network, you can successfully navigate this transition.

What are the next steps after obtaining a PhD?

After obtaining a PhD, the next steps will depend on your career goals and interests. Some options include pursuing a postdoctoral fellowship, seeking employment in academia, industry, or government, or starting your own research or consulting business. It is important to assess your strengths and interests and carefully consider your options before deciding on your next steps.