Graduating with physics undergrad, need some advice

In summary, Jason is getting ready to graduate from college and is thinking about what he wants to do next. He likes the idea of nuclear engineering and thinks that his physics background will be a good foundation for this field. He is excited to see what the future holds and is hopeful that he will be able to find a career that is a good fit for him.
timman_24
I am going to graduate soon and am getting my applications ready for graduate school. I know I do not want to continue in pure physics. I want something more "hands on." I also want something in a cutting edge field. I've always liked the idea of nuclear engineering and did well in EM, thermo, and mathematics. Am I desirable going from a pure science background in physics when applying for graduate school in engineering? I looked over the curriculum in engineering and it seems that they don't quite sync up well with what I took except for the mathematics, thermo, and stat.

Will I have a hard time getting into a reputable college with my degree? I have around a 3.8 gpa right now.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Timman_24,

Many graduate engineering departments are happy to accept students with physics backgrounds. I went to graduate school (electrical engineering) and work with a lot of people that were in your situation. You will have to pick fields/specializations that interest you, of course. If it is nuclear engineering then physics is a great background - where I went to school didn't even have an undergrad nuclear program; they suggested "engineering physics" as a background (which meant EM, statistical physics, mechanics, Quantum mechanics, continuum physics, math methods, experimental physics, circuits, and a handful of electives from engineering and physics).

If you are interested in physics related topics, you should be in especially good shape. I know folks with physics backrounds who have graduate degrees in electrical engineering (solid state devices, radiowave propagation, signal processing), materials science, and aerospace engineering (control systems, space systems). My wife has undergrad degree in math, went to physics grad school for a couple of years - when her advisor left she was stranded, so transferred to another university where she earned a phd in electrical engineering. If I think harder I can probably recall a few more folks whose background was physics, but these pop to mind immediately.

I think you should be fine. I wish you the best of luck,

jason

Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel much better. I do enjoy the topics in physics but I am craving something more applied. The school I am currently applying to has an option for applied plasma/fusion technologies along with a certificate in sustainable energies. I think tacking these onto my degree program will give me a great head start in a future career.

Very exciting. Can't wait to graduate out of undergrad.

What career opportunities are available for physics undergraduates?

Physics undergraduates have a wide range of career options to choose from. Some common career paths include research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and science communication. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue further education in graduate school.

Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in physics?

While a graduate degree in physics can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher pay, it is not always necessary. Many physics undergraduates are able to find fulfilling and successful careers without pursuing further education. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

What skills do I need to develop as a physics undergraduate?

As a physics undergraduate, it is important to develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You should also have a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and be able to communicate complex ideas effectively. Additionally, laboratory and research experience can be valuable skills to have.

How can I stand out as a physics undergraduate?

To stand out as a physics undergraduate, you can participate in research projects, internships, and extracurricular activities related to your field of study. Additionally, having strong grades and letters of recommendation can help you stand out to potential employers or graduate school admissions committees.

Are there any tips for success in a physics undergraduate program?

Some tips for success in a physics undergraduate program include staying organized, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and actively participating in class and study groups. It can also be helpful to develop strong time management and study skills, and to stay curious and engaged in your coursework.