1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradute School and grades (percentage, not GPA).

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    I know what you are thinking, here's another person who's too lazy to do the research himself about grades and grad school, but I honestly have tried to find information.
    I am doing a joint honors in physics and mathematics with a minor in Computer Science with hopes of pursuing a doctorate in physics. My particular issue is that all the information I come across cites gpa, which I find quite useless since every place has different requirements for they're gpa scores. For example at my university anything above an 80% gets you a 4.0 in the course, which from what I've been able to gather seems like a really low bar. As of now my average is 85.50% however I have gotten 90's in some of my courses (I'm heading into my 3rd year). I'm wondering if people who tend to get accepted into graduate school have higher or lower grades than myself. I understand that there are many different factors to acceptance besides for grades but they do play a role up to a point. In addition if I can get into graduate school what types of schools can I get into? Would there be much of a chance of getting into a prestigious school? (relatively speaking, I know its never high)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    I find quite useless since every place has different requirements for they're gpa scores. For example at my university anything above an 80% gets you a 4.0 in the course, which from what I've been able to gather seems like a really low bar. As of now my average is 85.50% however I have gotten 90's in some of my courses

Consider that your percentages are somewhat useless too - we don't know what they stand for. Depending on grading scheme, testing style, etc, percentages could mean extremely different things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook