Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grand unified theories and quantum mechanics

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Why is it that general relativity and quantum mechanics are so different and that physicists are having difficulty combining them.

Please give me a simple answer. I scoured the whole net and each website has its own opinion.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hehe and you do not think that people answering here will give his/her opinion? ;-)

To me, the most difficult thing is that the quanta of gravity must have spin 2 and be massless, and you can't construct a quantum field theory which is Lorentz-invariant and renormalizable. This is wienberg-witten theorem.

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    I agree with malawi_glenn, and another important reason is that classically the equations of General Relativity develop singularities (black holes) within a finite time. The classical analogues of our quantum fields for the color force, weak force, and e&m do not have this behavior.

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mass has not anti-mass in the same way as we have positive and negative charges etc.

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5
    Could you put that clearer? Do you find it difficult that
    - quanta of gravity must have spin 2 and be massless
    and
    - can't construct a quantum field theory which is Lorentz-invariant and renormalizable

If so, why do you find it difficult?

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can show that gravitons must have that property within the standard model and then the rest follows from Wienberg-Witten theorem.

The difficultly is that you can't construct a quantum field theory which is lorentz invariant and renormalizable with that property of the graviton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook