Grandson gave me computer trouble again

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, my computer is getting slow and the mouse is like missing a beat. I think its because he used my computer to get onto Google Translate last Sunday. I used Firefox and disabled most of the programs in the background, but that doesn't seem to help. I also looked at the task manager and found that one of the processes was using a lot of cpu time. I turned off the process and my computer seems to have been fixed.
yungman
He is learning Chinese language, he used my computer to get onto Google Translate last Sunday. Ever since, my computer is getting slow and I can hear the cooling fan always on. The mouse is like missing a beat! Can anyone tell me where to look for that translation program and disable it. He did not play any game or anything, just that, so its should be limited.

I use Firefox and I went into "Tools", "Add-Ons" and disable most of the programs in the background already. Still, that doesn't help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the task manager? It will tell you what processes are running.

I would check your browser history, just to be safe.

mathman said:
Have you looked at the task manager? It will tell you what processes are running.

Thanks for the reply, yes I looked, but what to look for? Nothing obvious.

Seems very possible that he hooked into a site that has given you a virus. What anti-virus software are you running?

yungman said:

Sort the processes by their CPU time, if anything uses constantly 100% it is most likely the culprit.

yungman said:

It depends on how far you have gone into it. When you first look it comes up with "applications", which just describes the most obvious processes. You need to click on "processes" to get a more complete list. Furthermore on the bottom of processes check on "show processes from all users". You can then click on the CPU column to get the list in order of CPU usage.

Note: this description is for Windows 7 task manager. Other systems may be a little different.

I agree, you have a background program hogging cpu time. Use task manager to find the cpu hogs and turn them off. When you find the right one, the difference should be obvious. Nothing bad will happen, if you accidentally turn off the wrong program, just reboot.

1. Why is my grandson always causing computer trouble?

There could be a variety of reasons for your grandson causing computer trouble. It could be due to lack of knowledge or experience with computers, accidental clicks on harmful links, or even intentional actions. It's important to have a conversation with your grandson to understand the root cause and find a solution.

2. How can I prevent my grandson from causing computer trouble?

One way to prevent your grandson from causing computer trouble is to educate him about safe internet practices and basic computer skills. You can also set up parental controls or limit his access to certain programs or websites. It's also a good idea to monitor his computer usage and have open communication about his actions on the computer.

3. What should I do if my grandson accidentally downloads a virus?

If your grandson accidentally downloads a virus, the first step is to disconnect the computer from the internet to prevent further damage. Then, run a full virus scan using your antivirus software. If the virus cannot be removed, seek professional help or reinstall the operating system.

4. How can I teach my grandson to troubleshoot computer issues?

You can teach your grandson to troubleshoot computer issues by showing him how to identify the problem, researching solutions online, and trying different troubleshooting methods. You can also encourage him to learn basic troubleshooting skills by giving him small tasks to fix on his own.

5. Is it normal for grandchildren to cause computer trouble?

Yes, it is normal for grandchildren to cause computer trouble, especially if they are young and inexperienced with technology. It's important to be patient and understanding, and use this as an opportunity to teach them about responsible computer usage. With proper guidance and education, your grandson can learn to use computers safely and effectively.