Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grandson gave me computer trouble again!

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    He is learning Chinese language, he used my computer to get onto Google Translate last Sunday. Ever since, my computer is getting slow and I can hear the cooling fan always on. The mouse is like missing a beat!!! Can anyone tell me where to look for that translation program and disable it. He did not play any game or anything, just that, so its should be limited.

I use Firefox and I went into "Tools", "Add-Ons" and disable most of the programs in the background already. Still, that doesn't help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you looked at the task manager? It will tell you what processes are running.

4. May 25, 2013 #3
    I would check your browser history, just to be safe.

5. May 25, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the reply, yes I looked, but what to look for? Nothing obvious.

6. May 25, 2013 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems very possible that he hooked into a site that has given you a virus. What anti-virus software are you running?

7. May 26, 2013 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sort the processes by their CPU time, if anything uses constantly 100% it is most likely the culprit.

8. May 26, 2013 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on how far you have gone into it. When you first look it comes up with "applications", which just describes the most obvious processes. You need to click on "processes" to get a more complete list. Furthermore on the bottom of processes check on "show processes from all users". You can then click on the CPU column to get the list in order of CPU usage.

Note: this description is for Windows 7 task manager. Other systems may be a little different.

9. Jun 14, 2013 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, you have a background program hogging cpu time. Use task manager to find the cpu hogs and turn them off. When you find the right one, the difference should be obvious. Nothing bad will happen, if you accidentally turn off the wrong program, just reboot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook