Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph and Differential equations for hyperbolas

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    Hello experts!
    Hope all of you will be fine.

I have an equation i.e. xy=c
    And we all know it is hyperbola.

Now I say "graph some of the hyperbolas xy=c". Then kindly tell me how can we extract more than 1 graph from this single equation? And you will write the differential equations for them. while here only 1 hyperbola is given i.e. xy=c.

If you have any confusion about the question the kindly tell me. I will try to clear more.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    Assuming c is some constant, you have y = c/x. This is a family of graphs, which varies based on values of c. I.E. y = 1/x, y = 2/x, ...y = c/x

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    Oh thanks. It is quite helpful.

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4
    y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4ax is also a parabola & and y=[itex]\frac{c}{x}[/itex] too?

Is it?

6. Oct 13, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, [itex]y^2= 4ax[/itex] would be a family of parabolas, all passing through (0, 0) having different foci.

I'm not sure what your question about y= c/x is. It is the same as xy= c, your original hyperbola system.

7. Oct 14, 2011 #6
    My real question as you can see that, how can you plot some hyperbolas families from general equation i.e. xy=c?

This could be y=c/x and therefore some families will be y=1/x, y=2/x, y=3/x..........so on.
    Where c=any arbitrary constant.

Am I right?

8. Oct 14, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is exactly what it is saying. They will be parabolas having the x and y axes as asymptotes, passing through (1, c) and (-1, -c), for each number c. Be sure to include some values of c negative and c= 0.

9. Oct 14, 2011 #8
    As you said c=0 this implies that y=0/x or y=0
    Can y=0 be a parabola? Is it so?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook