1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of Kinetic Energy v. Displacement of a Falling Object

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    [solved] Graph of Kinetic Energy v. Displacement of a Falling Object

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Draw and label a graph with energy for the y axis and displacement for the x axis of the kinetic energy and potential energy of an object in free-fall that started with a horizontal speed of 30 m/s from a height of 80 m.

2. Relevant equations
    U=mgh
    k=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a straight line with negative slope for potential energy because m and g are constants in U=mgh, so it should be a linear graph, as for kinetic energy, I am sitting on the fence on whether or not to draw a straight line or a curve The v^2 makes me want to draw a curve, however, if the the potential energy is a straight line and K = E - U, then shouldn't k be directly proportional to displacement as well?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good thinking!

Why not use a bit of kinematics to double check? What's the relationship between v (or v^2) and displacement for a falling object?

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    ahh..

v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0)
    but since initial velocity in the y direction is 0
    v^2=-2g(x-x0)

and since -2g is a constant, v^2 is directly proportional to displacement, and thus kinetic energy is directly proportional to displacement!

Thanks Doc Al!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?