Graph {(x, y) ∈ R+² : X ≥ X’ >0, Y ≥ Y’ > 0}

• Thread starter 939
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the homework statement is saying that a consumer's consumption set is a set that includes points (x, y) that are greater than 0, and also y values greater than y'. Additionally, the set is convex, closed, and not bounded.

Homework Statement

The consumption set of a consumer is: {(x, y) ∈ R+² : X ≥ X’ >0, Y ≥ Y’ > 0}. Graph it.

I am only wondering how it looks, don't need a copy of the graph.

Homework Equations

{(x, y) ∈ R+² : X ≥ X’ >0, Y ≥ Y’ > 0}

The Attempt at a Solution

This first part, (x, y) ∈ R+², tells me it will be on the top right part of a Cartesian graph. The points can touch 0. But I am not sure what X ≥ X’ > 0, Y ≥ Y’ > 0 means. We are doing sets and convexity.

The first x value is greater than the second, which are both greater than zero? And the same for Y? 0_o

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, 939

I'll try to cast light on this question ;)

First, let us consider a point in R² (X',Y'), such as X’ >0, Y’ > 0. Therefore, our graph will be in the first quadrant.

Second, What does mean: X ≥ X' and Y ≥ Y’?. It represent an angle in the space. The vertex of the angle is the point (X',Y'), and the angles lines will be the straight lines X=X' and Y=Y' accordingly with the constraints.

I need draw it, but, now I can't.

Is this useful?

Regards

939 said:
The points can touch 0.

From the conditions stated, the (0,0) would be represented with an open point. the graph approaches this point but never touches it.

As for the conditions, [itex]X \geq X' > 0 [/itex], I think this means that for every X defined, there is an X' between that number and 0. It says something about the "neighborhood" near the point x = 0. Say, if you are at the point x = 0.0001, there is still a smaller point that is greater than 0. Yet, you never have x =0.

In reality this might not make sense, because when would you say that you have 0.0000001 dollars?

That's my take on it. I hope it helps.

Grufey said:
Hi, 939

I'll try to cast light on this question ;)

First, let us consider a point in R² (X',Y'), such as X’ >0, Y’ > 0. Therefore, our graph will be in the first quadrant.

Second, What does mean: X ≥ X' and Y ≥ Y’?. It represent an angle in the space. The vertex of the angle is the point (X',Y'), and the angles lines will be the straight lines X=X' and Y=Y' accordingly with the constraints.

I need draw it, but, now I can't.

Is this useful?

Regards

Thanks! My final question is would you be able to say if the set is convex, closed or bounded?

The set is convex due to every pair of points can be linked with a continuous line. Also is closed, because the condition greater or EQUAL. Accordingly with the definition, the complementary set is open. And finally the set is not bounded, it's wonder, there isn't any contidion about the maximum of X or Y.

Regards!

1. What does the notation (x, y) ∈ R+² mean in the given graph?

The notation (x, y) ∈ R+² means that the points on the graph are in the first quadrant of the Cartesian plane, where both the x and y coordinates are positive.

2. What is the significance of the condition X ≥ X’ > 0 in the given graph?

This condition means that the x coordinate of any point on the graph must be greater than or equal to a certain value, denoted by X’, which is also greater than 0. This creates a boundary on the left side of the graph, restricting the x values of the points.

3. What is the purpose of the condition Y ≥ Y’ > 0 in the given graph?

This condition serves a similar purpose as the previous one, but for the y coordinate. It ensures that the y values of the points are greater than or equal to a certain value, denoted by Y’, which is also greater than 0. This creates a boundary at the bottom of the graph, restricting the y values of the points.

4. Are there any specific patterns or trends that can be observed in this graph?

Yes, one pattern that can be observed is that all the points lie in the first quadrant, as specified by the notation (x, y) ∈ R+². Another trend is that the x and y values of the points increase as we move towards the top right corner of the graph.

5. What types of data or variables could be represented by this graph?

This graph could represent any type of data or variables that have positive values and are related to each other in some way. For example, it could represent the relationship between the amount of time spent studying and test scores, where both the time and scores are positive values.