Graphene wavefunction expressed in tight binding form

In summary: Jatosado]In summary, the tight binding wavefunction for an atom in graphene has two spinorial components in "real space". The spinorial component for atom A (or B) propagates in the graphene as a two-component spinor.
PRB147
TL;DR Summary
Does the wavefunction for A or B atom have the spinorial components (2 components)?
In the framework of tight binding approximation, does the wavefunction for atom A (or B) has two spinorial components(2 components) in "real space"? If so how does this spinorial component propagate in the graphene?

Physics news on Phys.org
I’m not quite sure what you mean by the wavefunction for an individual atom in graphene. The wavefunction describes the behavior of the whole system, and in a condensed matter system, the real space wavefunction for a given wave vector ##\mathbf{k}## is delocalized over lots of atoms.

Do you maybe mean Wannier functions? These are usually more localized than the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian for a condensed matter system.

TeethWhitener said:
I’m not quite sure what you mean by the wavefunction for an individual atom in graphene. The wavefunction describes the behavior of the whole system, and in a condensed matter system, the real space wavefunction for a given wave vector ##\mathbf{k}## is delocalized over lots of atoms.

Do you maybe mean Wannier functions? These are usually more localized than the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian for a condensed matter system.
Thank you very much for your help, I mean is the tight binding wavefunction (lattice coefficient) at atom A (or B) two-component spinor? If so, how the spinorial lower component propogate? If not, how tight binding wavefunction match the continuum model? In continuum model, the wavefunction evolves between atom A and atom B in two-component spinor form.

Ok just to clarify, what the literature calls the continuum model of graphene is the tight binding model, but where you expand the Hamiltonian around the Dirac cones. So the tight binding Hamiltonian looks like
$$H = \begin{pmatrix}
\epsilon & -tf(\mathbf{k}) \\
-tf^*(\mathbf{k}) & \epsilon \\
\end{pmatrix}$$
where
$$f(\mathbf{k}) = \sum_{\mathbf{\delta}}\exp{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{\delta}}$$
and the ##\mathbf{\delta}## are the nearest neighbor vectors in real space.
Expanding to first order about the Dirac cone at ##\mathbf{k}=\mathbf{K}## gives:
$$H_{\xi} = \hbar v_F \begin{pmatrix}
0 & \xi k_x-ik_y \\
\xi k_x+ik_y & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}$$
where we've picked up the valley index ##\xi## which is ##+1## near ##\mathbf{K}## and ##-1## near ##\mathbf{K'}##.
The continuum model allows us to write down the wavefunction explicitly:
$$\psi_{\pm,\xi}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\pm\xi e^{i\xi\theta_{\mathbf{k}}}\\
\end{pmatrix} e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}}$$
The spinor nature of this wavefunction doesn't change when you switch to the full tight binding model. (When you say the A/B atoms, I think you're referring to the sublattices of graphene with which each component of the spinor is associated.) But the components of the spinor become functions of ##f(\mathbf{k})##, and I'm not sure if they can be written in closed form.

Did that get a little closer to what you were talking about?

Likes PRB147

1. What is graphene and why is it important?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is important because it has unique properties such as high strength, conductivity, and flexibility, making it useful in various applications such as electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine.

2. What is a wavefunction in the context of graphene?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle, which includes information about its position and momentum. In the context of graphene, the wavefunction describes the behavior of electrons in the material.

3. What is the tight binding method for expressing graphene wavefunctions?

The tight binding method is a mathematical approach used to describe the electronic structure of a material. In this method, the wavefunction is expressed as a linear combination of atomic orbitals, taking into account the interactions between neighboring atoms in the lattice.

4. How is the tight binding method used to study graphene properties?

The tight binding method allows researchers to calculate the electronic band structure and other properties of graphene, such as its electrical conductivity and optical absorption. By adjusting the parameters in the tight binding model, different types of graphene can be studied, including doped, strained, and bilayer graphene.

5. What are the limitations of the tight binding method for graphene wavefunctions?

The tight binding method is a simplified approach and does not take into account all the complexities of the material. It assumes a perfect lattice and does not consider the effects of defects, impurities, or temperature. Additionally, it may not accurately describe the behavior of electrons at high energies or in extreme conditions.