Graphene, why is it so strong, electrically conductive and flexible ?

• Thread starter JakeEToth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of graphene and the search for an explanation for them. Specifically, the speaker mentions the strength, electrical conductance, and flexibility of graphene, and their relationship to the material's hexagonal lattice structure and covalent bonds. They also mention the concept of effective mass and how graphene's electrons exhibit virtually zero mass, making it a better conductor than silver. The conversation also mentions the discovery of another two-dimensional carbon material called graphyne, which has similar electric properties but with directional dependence. The speaker expresses frustration with finding information and asks for more insights on the topic.
JakeEToth

Homework Statement

I want to know why Graphene has the properties it has, I am really struggling to find out why graphene has the properties it does. Strength, I know graphene contains covalent bonds which are strong and that it has a hexagonal lattice structure. Electrical conductance I know that each carbon atom has one free valence electron as it is covalently bonded to only three other carbon atoms and that graphene has no band gap and a high current density and a high intrinsic mobility. Flexibility, I know the carbon atoms can rotate around their bonds and that is it !
So please could someone expand on all the points made and make even more I have googled, read many many articles and have emailed the graphene institution in Manchester with little success. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
I was searching here to find why graphene electrons exhibit virtually zero mass...apparently called 'effective mass'...as in sold state physics...it's a better conductor than silver...

The most interesting sources I have found so far are Wikipedia under graphene and a reference
to Dirac Cones...here

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/graphynes-stealing-graphenes-spotlight.php “The result is that the electrons in graphene behave as though they are relativistic particles with no rest mass, and so can whiz through the material at extremely high speeds.”
The carbon atoms in graphene are assembled in a distinctive hexagonal honeycomb or lattice-like pattern, and it was previously thought that only this structure could support Dirac cones.The new breakthrough reveals that other two-dimensional carbon configurations can support Dirac cones. These new materials could possesses new properties that graphene can only dream of..."The new theoretical generalization is Graphyne...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphyne
...Like in graphene, hexagonal graphyne has electric properties that are direction independent. However, due to the symmetry of the proposed rectangular 6,6,12-graphyne the electric properties would change along different directions in the plane of the material.[9]

I'll post anything of interest I find here...but I now see this is under INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS...
SOLID STATE PHYSICS might be better to elicit expert responses...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is graphene and why is it so strong?

Graphene is a one-atom-thick layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is considered the strongest material ever discovered with a tensile strength 200 times greater than steel. This strength is due to its tightly bonded carbon atoms and unique lattice structure.

2. How is graphene able to conduct electricity?

Graphene's strong carbon-carbon bonds allow for the free movement of electrons, making it an excellent conductor of electricity. It also has a high electron mobility, meaning that electrons can move quickly and easily through the material.

3. What makes graphene flexible?

Graphene's thin and lightweight structure allows it to be extremely flexible. Its unique honeycomb lattice structure also allows for the material to bend and stretch without losing its strength. This makes it ideal for use in flexible electronics and other applications.

4. How does graphene's flexibility affect its strength?

Despite being extremely flexible, graphene's strength is not compromised. In fact, its strength increases when it is stretched due to the redistribution of stress throughout the material. This is known as the "load transfer effect" and makes graphene even stronger than before.

5. What are some potential uses for graphene?

Graphene's unique properties make it a highly sought-after material for a wide range of applications. It has potential uses in electronics, energy storage, aerospace, biomedicine, and more. Some specific applications include flexible touchscreens, high-performance batteries, and water filtration systems.