Graphing Functions in n Dimensions, Parametric Equations

• Thread starter TheDemx27
  • Start date
TheDemx27
Gold Member
So I was watching this video on Khan Academy, and it talks about graphing functions that have values in multiple dimensions. It shows how to represent a linear function in 3 dimensions with a set of vectors, L ={p1 + t(p1-p2)|t∈R} where p1 and p2 are vectors that lie on the line you want to graph. My question is: How would one go about graphing polynomials, or trigonometric functions?

The video was under the linear algebra category, but to be honest I don't know enough about linear algebra to determine whether or not this should go in that subforum.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
My question is: How would one go about graphing polynomials, or trigonometric functions?
Having watched the video, I'd phrase your question this way:

A line can be represented in vector form as [itex] L = P + tV [/itex] where [itex] P [/itex] and [itex] V [/itex] are constant vectors and [itex] t [/itex] is a parameter. What curves can be represented using constant vectors and a parameter?
That's as good question. We could start by looking by plotting examples in 2D, like [itex] C = P + tV + t^2W [/itex] just to see what they look like.