Graphing Parabolas that are not parallel to the y-axis

In summary, graphing parabolas that are not parallel to the y-axis involves identifying the vertex, axis of symmetry, and intercepts of the parabola. The vertex is the highest or lowest point on the curve, the axis of symmetry is the vertical line that divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves, and the intercepts are the points where the parabola intersects with the x and y axes. To graph a parabola that is not parallel to the y-axis, the standard form of the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c can be used, with the values of a, b, and c determining the shape, direction, and position of the parabola. Additionally, knowing the properties
EuroNerd77
I have gone over parabolas for a while in my Algebra II class and we are limited to just horizontal and vertical parabolas. I want to figure out how to graph a parabola that is titled at an angle. An equation that let's me graph a parabola whose axis of symmetry is let's say at 43° or 312.45° or whatever degree non parallel to an axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always graph it as a vertical or horizontal parabola and then rotate it so the axis is what you want.

What would you do to the equation in order to rotate it? I need an equation to do this.

EuroNerd77 said:
What would you do to the equation in order to rotate it? I need an equation to do this.

Essentially you set a matrix with elements (cosx, sinx) for the first row and (-sinx, cosx) for the second row (x is the rotation angle). Each point (x,y) is transformed by mutiplying by the matrix.

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that can be described by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. It is symmetrical about a line called the axis of symmetry.

2. How can I graph a parabola that is not parallel to the y-axis?

To graph a parabola that is not parallel to the y-axis, you will need to use the general form of the equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then, you can plot points by choosing values for x and solving for y. Alternatively, you can use the vertex form, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola.

3. What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the axis of symmetry intersects the curve. It is also the highest or lowest point on the parabola, depending on the direction of the curve.

4. How can I determine the direction of a parabola?

The direction of a parabola can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x^2 term in the equation. If the coefficient is positive, the parabola opens upwards and if it is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

5. Can a parabola intersect the x-axis at more than two points?

No, a parabola can only intersect the x-axis at two points. This is because the axis of symmetry divides the parabola into two equal halves, and the curve cannot cross the axis of symmetry more than twice.