1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X and Y components of a vector using a graph of speed/time

Tags:
  1. Jan 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A golf ball is struck at ground level. The speed of the golf ball as a function of the time is shown in the figure, where t = 0 at the instant the ball is struck. The scaling on the vertical axis is set by va= 16 m/s and vb= 29.3 m/s. (a) How far does the golf ball travel horizontally before returning to ground level? (b) What is the maximum height above ground level attained by the ball?
    [PLAIN]https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c04/fig04_40.gif[/B][/SIZE] [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations
    x component=|magnitude of vector|cos(theta)
    y component=|magnitude of vector|sin)theta)
    s=.5(v0+v)t
    3. The attempt at a solution
    16 m/s is the minimum value on this graph and 29.3 is the maximum value on this graph. 29.3 appears first and then 16 is in the middle in a concave-up parabola. So this is what I did and I wonder if this is right:
    So the initial velocity, a mixture of both x and y components is=29.3. To find the theta, we can take 29.3cos(theta)=16. Why do we use 16? Because the minimum speed corresponds to a vertical velocity of 0, meaning 16 is the constant horizontal velocity. So then, theta is =56.91 degrees. We then have to solve for initial y component of velocity, so we have 29.3sin(56.91)=24.55. We then say, since the graph has 5 seconds at the end point: s=.5(16+16)*5=80m. Is that right? for a. And then is b just s=.5(24.546+0)*2.5=30.6825? Thanks for the help, I just am unsure. Thanks and have great day :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2017 #2
    The image of the graph is attached below:

Attached Files:

4. Jan 21, 2017 #3
    Looks right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted