Graphing - photonic Energy Vs Frequency

In summary, the relationship between the energy of a photon and its frequency can be described as directly proportional, where an increase in frequency results in an increase in photon energy. This relationship is represented by a diagonal line through the origin on a graph with frequency on the x-axis and photonic energy on the y-axis. This can be explained by Planck's relationship, where energy equals Planck's constant multiplied by frequency.
MRFISCHERRULZ

Homework Statement

"What is the relationship between the energy of a photon and its frequency"

then

"Qualitively graph photonic energy versus frequency. No values are required. The Slope does not need to be specific."

Homework Equations

we are given a graph with no values, the frequency is on the X-Axis while the photonic energy is on the Y-Axis

The Attempt at a Solution

i have drawn a straight line at a diagonal, which goes through the origin, this would infact make the photonic energy directly proportional to the frequency.

I am not sure if this is correct?, are you please able to assist me to achieve the correct answer

thanks

Mr. Fischer

Physics news on Phys.org
MRFISCHERRULZ said:
i have drawn a straight line at a diagonal, which goes through the origin, this would infact make the photonic energy directly proportional to the frequency.
Sounds good. (What's the energy of a photon of given frequency?)

i am not given any frequencies?

MRFISCHERRULZ said:
i am not given any frequencies?
What's the general relationship between photon energy and frequency?

If the frequency increases, the photon energy will increase

directly proportional?

MRFISCHERRULZ said:
If the frequency increases, the photon energy will increase

directly proportional?
Yes. The energy of a photon is related to the frequency of the radiation by Planck's relationship: Energy = Planck's constant X frequency.

See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod2.html#c3"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, you have been of great assistance!

1. What is the relationship between photonic energy and frequency in a graph?

The relationship between photonic energy and frequency in a graph is directly proportional. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the energy of the photons also increases.

2. How is photonic energy measured in a graph?

Photonic energy is typically measured in electron volts (eV) in a graph. This unit is used to represent the amount of energy that a photon carries.

3. What is the significance of the slope of a photonic energy vs frequency graph?

The slope of a photonic energy vs frequency graph represents the Planck's constant, which is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics. It relates the energy of a photon to its frequency.

4. Can the wavelength of a wave be determined from a photonic energy vs frequency graph?

Yes, the wavelength of a wave can be determined from a photonic energy vs frequency graph. This can be done by using the formula wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

5. How is the concept of quantization related to graphing photonic energy vs frequency?

The concept of quantization is closely related to graphing photonic energy vs frequency. This is because the energy of photons is quantized, meaning it can only exist in certain discrete energy levels. This is reflected in the stepped or discontinuous nature of the graph.